Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Was Mccartney good at his bass playing in the beginning of the Beatles?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Nicklas, Feb 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nicklas

Nicklas

Mar 15, 2003
    I just saw her Standing there is a pretty good bass song......so he must have done a lot of songs on bass before that because from the beginning Paul was a lead guitarr player.

2. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    hey look, a McCartney thread by nicklas :cool:

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Im currently doing a report on him and in the beginning he said he wasnt great., He would make very boring and basic basslines.

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999

McCartney's bassline on "I Saw Her Standing There" was a GUITAR figure lifted from a Chuck Berry tune(Mac openly admits he 'stole' it).
    When I get home, I'll name the Berry tune in-question.

The early footage of McCartney playing "I Saw Her Standing There" is almost painful...no 'economy of motion' happenin', he's flailing all the place.
    ;)

5. ccyork

ccyork

Jan 26, 2004
    USA
    I once saw a documentary on the Beatles, and if I remember correctly, Paul was not a bass player in the beginning, but he took it up because their bass player quit and they needed someone to fill the hole. So he probably had some sort of learning curve at the beginning where he wasn't a "great" player. But being the musician that he is, I'm sure the learning curve wasn't too "great".

Isn't that the way many people get into bass? I started out playing guitar, but it just didn't make sense for our band to have two guitarists and no bass. No one else wanted to play bass, so I said "why not?" I'm glad I did, too, because I'm not a great bass player, but I'm a much better bass player than I ever was a guitarist. :D

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Another reason he started is because at first he played guitar, but his guitar was a piece of crap, and it broke beyond repair, so he bought a Hofner violin bass at a pawn shop.

8. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Thats exactly why Im closing this one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.