Was McCartney the first to work "Indian"-sounding licks and riff into pop bass lines?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by phxlbrmpf, Feb 20, 2006.

1. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    I'm not exactly a Beatles connaisseur (don't like the way the vocals sound in most of their songs) and finally came across the video for "Rain" on youtube.com, and was instantly able to name a few songs I like that obviously ripped Paul's line off a bit.
    I know using the Mixolydian scale to create "Indian"-sounding bass lines to spice up songs has become pretty much a bass staple, but was McCartney the first to use this approach? Discuss!
  2. iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    I never thought of Rain as having an "Indian" influenced bass line, just kind of a root/octave thing similar to his part on Taxman.
  3. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Indian? McCartney?
    The closet thing I can think of off-hand is, maybe...MAYBE, the droning bass part to "Tomorrow Never Knows".
  4. corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Yeah, I've often thought that if those guys were better singers they might have been more succesful.
  5. Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    when it comes to the beatles and indian culture, george harrison is the first to come to my mind, not mccartney

do you have any other tunes as an example as to what you mean?