1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

was paul mccartney’s rickenbacker bass unfinished in the early 70s?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bon viesta, Feb 13, 2021.

1. bon viesta

bon viesta

Dec 10, 2020
    most of us who are beatles gear heads have heard of the story where paul, george and john heard that sanding the finish off of a guitar would make it sound better, and so of course they all did. in early 1969, after the white album, the first appearance of paul mccartney’s rickenbacker was in the let it be movie sitting on a stand without it’s paint job anymore. by 1972 or so paul mccartney had sanded the finish once again into the now famous ‘rounded horns’, and i believe that was also when he sent it back to rickenbacker to repair the bridge pickup. but in-between the initial sanding job done by paul in 1969 and the time he took back to rickenbacker to replace the pickup (from 1969 to 1972) did he just not have a finish on the bass? i’m not talking clear finish, i mean completely naked. did he do a home job finish? take it to some random guitar shop? his trip back to rickenbacker may have also been in 1975 instead, as i believe i’ve heard that before.

Attached Files:

OldFenderPlayer likes this.
  2. IIRC, yes it was. I’m sure others will chime in.
    You might find this interesting.
    arnquist

DA38B155-320A-4898-A562-B787AF14B7B6.jpeg

JRT64, Pauly 4001, Zoffy and 7 others like this.
  3. bon viesta

bon viesta

Dec 10, 2020
    i have the book that’s from!! beatles gear. great book. i got it as a drummer :)

SteveFromBerlin and StereoPlayer like this.
  4. bon viesta

bon viesta

Dec 10, 2020
    wait so... even after the rickenbacker visit it was still unfinished??

5. I’m not sure I haven’t read the article in a while. He hasn’t played it in concert for a very long time.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  6. I just saw a video interviewing his long time guitar tech Keith Smith and he said that the 4001S is still one of McCartney's prime studio basses. He doesn't play it live anymore due to the weight, it's just to heavy for a 3 hour concert. Remember the man is 78 years young.

TD

7. Yeah, read Arnquist's story up above he said they discussed sealing it but didn't.

bon viesta and DJ Bebop like this.
  8. A few years after it was painted in a psychedelic motif for the summer of love it was stripped down.

bobyoung53, bon viesta and DJ Bebop like this.
  9. Hello_Goodbye_paulmccartney.filminspector.com_3.gif

jamro217, bobyoung53, jmlee and 3 others like this.

10. He also said the horns had been slimmed down and not in a very skilled way:laugh:.

11. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    It was unfinished in 1969, and was still unfinished in spring of '76 when it went to RIC.

jamro217 and bobyoung53 like this.
  12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 15, 2021