1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Was pino's sting ray active or passive?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Shae Wooten, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Shae Wooten

Shae Wooten

Aug 16, 2016
    sorry guys. I'm sure this has been beaten to death, but i'm new to talkbass. Im looking into purchasing a fretless and am interested in the specs of Pino's MM. Was it passive or active? Thanks guys!

Fab Superlative likes this.
  2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Unless he had it wired passive, it is active like all Stingrays except one budget model from ten years ago.

3. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    Umm...Stingrays are active.

4. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    And, I think, a GC limited run.

Tbone76 likes this.
  5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    It was one of those budget American made basses with aluminum pickguard. I had the active five string version for a while.

wvbass likes this.
  6. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    There was the PDN Gilded white which had a push/pull volume for active passive.
    s%252F15979d1313417489-new-instrument-release-premier-dealer-network-pdn-gilded-white-bass-flyer.png

DWBass, madjazzbass, stacker and 5 others like this.
  7. Maybe think about picking up an octave pedal too. ;)
    The Mooer, Tender Octave- is a nice inexpensive mini sized one that can fit in the accessory compartment of most cases, or gig bags. And it sounds great!
    The octave pedal will accentuate the mwah to epic levels. :thumbsup:

edit: I should add that if you look into the Mooer pedal, since it's a mini size it will require a wall wart type power supply like a one spot. Still the pedal and pwr supply will easily fit in cases and bags. If you would like to get a pedal with an internal battery then the Boss OC-2 would be a good choice, although being of bulkier design they do not fit in cases as easily as the mini pedals do.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
    Dr. Cheese likes this.
  8. Shae Wooten

Shae Wooten

Aug 16, 2016
    Thanks guys

Fab Superlative likes this.
  9. TMARK

TMARK

Jan 10, 2012
    Richmond VA
    Make sure to get the two band preamp. The three band fretless isn't the same.

10. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    Here
    heres a pic

maxresdefault.jpg

11. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    Maybe I dreamed it, but i think I remember an interview where he talked about going into the studio with just his bass and an OC-2 pedal. The engineer asked him how he got his tone and the reply was "I don't. You do." Did I make that up? I think it was in an old Bass Player magazine.

12. Sounds reasonable to me.
    I'll never forget the first time I ran a fretless through the Octaver pedal...not only did the lightbulb over my head turn on...I think it exploded!

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  13. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I disclose nothing

I would say the opposite

14. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Nope. You didn't imagine that. I remember that verbatim.

15. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I think if you goal is the Pino sound then a 2 band is your thing.

Edit: That being said, when I was in Nashville recently I got the pleasure of seeing the Eagle Maniacs play. They did all Henry, Walsh and Eagles songs. When they got to the Henry stuff, the bass player whipped out a modern Ray 5 fretless with the 3 band and nailed that tone. Is was awesome to watch/hear. He nailed every line like it was the CD playing.

RiZzBot likes this.
  16. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Who's Henry?

El-Bob, digmeout and Dluxe like this.
  17. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Ha! Phone typo. "Henley".

digmeout likes this.
  18. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Ah, him I've heard of...the guy with quaaludes, 14 year olds and a camera :D

19. devnulljp

devnulljp Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    giphy.gif

20. TMARK

TMARK

Jan 10, 2012
    Richmond VA
    I've had both. The two band works better for me to get the Pino. It's also what Pino had/has.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 22, 2021