Was the Black Album inevitable

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Psyrcle, May 9, 2005.

1. Psyrcle

Psyrcle Guest

I was listening to Escape off Ride The Lightning and for a second it sounded like the same riff structure of everything off The Black Album

Now I love Metallica. But after Justice they ceased to be Metallica. They put out 4 albums that are as close to perfect as you can get. And then when Black came out a part of me died inside. Sad But True has one ****in chunky riff but the album was not Metallica.

When I listened to Escape, even though it is cool, I feel that Metallica turning into a pseudo-rock band was going to happen wether or not Cliff died. Am I the only one to feel like this?
  2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Yeah, we all seem to put too much weight on Cliff's shoulders. The Black album was one of those albums that I get a vibe of a producer telling the band what to do.
  3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    No, the Black Album WAS indeed Metallica just not YOUR idea of what Metallica should be.

Musicians changing their approach are damned if they do and damned if the don't.
  4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Exactly, though I feel the same as Psyrcle about the whole thing. I really wish they had gone a different way, but hey, it's their band and music, they don't need my 12.99$

I'm dying to see what Rob adds, and I hope he does add something. I also hope bob "I really don't" rock vanishes one way or another.
  5. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    It's always tough to conjure the same amount of angst as when you are living with 3 other guys in one room with no furniture if you are driving your Ferrari to the studio and going home at the end of the day to your Playboy wife at the mansion.....
  6. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    And here I was thinking this was going to be about Jay-Z.... :meh:

Should have known better.
  7. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    I Thought this would be about Prince :meh:

8. Psyrcle

Psyrcle Guest

When I tried (and failed) to listen to St. Anger I really didn't hear any bass-work that made him better than Jason. It was like trading Shaq for Christopher Reeves.
  9. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Are you talking about Bob Rock or Rob's bass work? Rob did NOT record on St. Anger Bob Rock did, which was one of it's many down falls. They need to drop Bob Rock in a hurry
  10. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Well when the most musically and compositionally talented member of your band dies, its going to effect the quality of the songwriting. When you replace his input with the dude responsible for Motley Crue...the results speak for themselves.
  11. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I thought this thread was going to be about Spinal Tap's "Smell The Glove".
    In other words, you're in love with what you've decided Metallica should be based on what they once were.

Great for you - get used to being dissapointed with all the new stuff and put all those old records on "repeat".

Have fun.

The rest of us will appreciate the band as they continue to evolve.
    I hope that was intended to be a joke, 'cause it's damn funny. :hyper: Cliff was a good bass player but to call him "the most musically and compositionally talented member of [Metallica]" is a bit of a stretch.

Doesn't this belong on some "Metallica Die-Hard fans who are too cool for anything after Justice" Forum? :help: :bag:
    Give "Kill 'Em All" another listen. It sucks. :D
  12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Who is his competition?

Also, I like some post Justice Metallica... I like the country song off Load.
  13. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Um..... Is this a trick question? Hetfield/Ulrich maybe? Of course you may love all those crappy Mustaine songs from Kill 'Em All for all I know.
  14. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    It wasn't Rob, it was the much lesser "Bob" who played on that record.
  15. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Well, I'll admit this is another "good grief why has metallica gone soft" thread, but your doing the opposition part as well, perfectly. :D

Of course it's "his idea" and "what he thought they should be" do we really need to point out that enjoyment of music is subjective? He does not enjoy it, sounds like you do. :meh:

you have to understand, when you lose something as cool as the band that played Master of Puppets, it helps to talk about it. ;)
  16. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Definitely a much talked about subject. I don't know how many times I've engaged in conversiation about this...trying to understand what happened to this band. There was definitely a big change of direction after Justice. Whether or not you like the newer metallica stuff, I personally don't. I don't blame them, or the death of Cliff for this. But I do feel that a big piece of their sound from that era died with him.

As they became superstars, i think there also was alot of big money outside influence/pressure on them to make platnum records. Between this and inner band turmoil..I think their music lost alot of its innovation and integrity.

Anyone seen "some kind of monster"?? I thought that movie was so bizzare. They are definitely alot further out-of-touch from reality than I thought. I'm curious to hear other peoples thought on that film?
  17. It's always hard when someone you love decides to move on....
    I guess that's how some of you guys must feel.
  18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

No, I don't dig anything about old school Mustaine. Hetfield is a great metal rhythm guitarist... I don't think the man has ever played an upstroke in his life... Ulrich... I can't think of anything he's ever done... that is good... ever. I believe Hetfield said it best about Ulrich, "Lets just say he isn't winning drummer of the year anytime soon."

Kirk Hammet.... well, I gotta give it up for the Nothing Else Matter's solo... but a lot of his stuff is just flashy + wah. Cliff, I think is overrated. But as far as each instrumentalist in their field, Cliff was the most advanced.

Furthermore, from a songwriting standpoint (musically) he was one of those metal guys who dig classical, and he brought that to the songwriting and made their songs more... epic, I suppose. So I agree with Tash, he was the talented one.
  19. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I don't know why I'm really fighting on either side of this, I don't really care for 90% of Metallica's material.
  20. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Ha that's funny, I like everything but the unlistenable "Kill 'Em All".