1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Was there a bassist for Judas Priest besides Ian?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by PrimusNut, Oct 21, 2006.

1. PrimusNut

PrimusNut

Mar 23, 2006
    Nova Scotia
    I was watching one of my Judas Priest DVD's the other day, and was watching the really old footage, from back in their hippy days.

There was the bassist standing beside the drummer, but I am not sure if it was Ian Hill. He didn't exactly look like him, and had a lot more talent.

My question is: Was this Ian? Or was it some other guy? If it was another guy, why did he leave? And if it was Ian, why did it seem like this guy was better?

Just curious.

--Curtis

2. pretty sure it was always Ian. I love his early lines

3. tommyr01

tommyr01 SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2004
    Tucson, AZ, USA
    I always thought it was IAN.....I must investigate this now... I ve always loved his bass lines

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Yeah, I bet it was a young Ian... early Priest lines were much more interesting, Priest was much more heavy groove oriented metal back in the day. Hero Hero has some cool basslines... not amazing, but cool fo sho.

5. I think the footage referred to must be the Whistle test stuff, with Dreamer Deciever. It's definitely Ian, playing fingerstyle.

But, MT, what is this Hero Hero you speak of?!

6. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    When judging music from a bands early days to later days, you always have to take into consideration that bass lines and drum parts have to change with the sizes of the halls as the bands get bigger. Playing busy/cool parts can sound like doodoo in most large halls, some bands/producers relize this and write smaller parts. There is some though that goes into that simple thing called headbanging.;)

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Ah Ha!

http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/pid/1285573/a/Hero,+Hero.htm

Aparently, Hero Hero, according to this website:

That explains why I don't hear much about it.

8. 8guy

8guy

Jun 19, 2005
    Madison WI
    If I Remember Right, Ian Is Robs brother in law and was in the band since the start.
    Sad Wings and Stained Class are the best Priest in my book!!!!!

bhendrix and deernaes like this.
  9. TinyE

TinyE

Jan 31, 2013
    portland,or
    i just finished kk's autobiography, and he talks about all the band members from the start. i'll dig back in. there was definitely a different bass player (maybe 2 if I remember). They went through drummers like crazy. Kind of made me think of Spinal Tap when I read about all the drummers.

10. Stumpy Eric

Fishheadjoe and deernaes like this.
  11. 8guy

8guy

Jun 19, 2005
    Madison WI
    Yes There was one guy, But he never played on any Records, The other guy was in 1968. I see that Ian has been with them from 1969.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 19, 2021