Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Was there a consensus on the AccuSwitch?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jar240, Jan 13, 2006.

1. jar240

jar240 Supporting Member

I can't read all 43 pages of posts ("AcemSwitch"), so could someone fill me in? Does anyone know what the actual circuit is?

Thanks,
    Chris

2. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    As I understand it, the AccuSwitch appears to be exactly what Andy Lewis describes as the "AcmeSwitch". The exact value of the capacitor is irrelevant. AccuGroove cabinets with the AccuSwitch are really 4 ohm cabinets and can't be used as 8 ohm cabinets, no matter which position the switch is in.

I own one of these cabinets, so this is a minor disappointment. :( The good news is I have enough power amp that it doesn't matter. :cool:

3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Petebass measured one and it actually came to about six ohms, explaining why using a pair wouldn't instantly toast an average 4 ohm rated amp.

4. Fuzzhead

Fuzzhead

Sep 26, 2005
    Australia
    It'll be back when it goes to 11...:D

I love showing it to people and saying "hear the difference?"

Still a great sounding cab, but I wouldn't use a 4 Ohm minimum amp with two...or bridge at 8 ohms with one...although some people get away with it.

5. jar240

jar240 Supporting Member

Excellent; thanks for the synopses!

Chris

6. sounds like a great idea gone wrong

7. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Or perhaps a wrong idea trying to go great :smug:

8. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    :) You prankster you! How many people say yes?

9. Fuzzhead

Fuzzhead

Sep 26, 2005
    Australia
    I only did it once actually, he looked quite confused! But I couldn't keep a straight face. He did like the cab though regardless.

BTW I've got 2 switches now! In series that'll get me to 16 Ohms right?? From there I can add still more cabs.....:D

10. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    :) Oh man, don't bait me. I've got at least 5 jokes I can crack here, all of them absolutely hilarious. But with the amount of emotion this whole subject has generated, anything I say will be percieved as adding to the witch-hunt. So I'll shut up now........

11. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    Aaahhhh! Cmon!
    Corey

12. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    This is funny because I can hear your voice in my head saying it!!!!!:D

13. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Good news, the switch is back! The March 2006 issue of Bass Guitar has an ad "introducing" Accuswitch. I'm happy to see this is not the old one used world wide for years but a brand new thing. Now we can start anew with mega threads asking does this new one really work.

It's such a shame as I've never heard any bad reviews on the cab aside from the outright fraud about the switch. If only he was willing to allow the cab to be compared to cabs made by mere mortals he would do okay :(

14. Fuzzhead

Fuzzhead

Sep 26, 2005
    Australia
    Heyhey Moo...did you attempt the video interview at NAMM? :bag:

15. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Have the laws of Physics changed and I missed it?

16. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    It could be an entirely new design, something within the laws of physics? I hope so.

17. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    No, I got lazy and had a bad cold. I did get some nice video of Laurence Cottle and Oscar Cartaya playing together, I'll be posting some stuff on Laurence's site in the near future. That's much better than watching some fraud lie to people that trust him any way.

18. Fuzzhead

Fuzzhead

Sep 26, 2005
    Australia
    You lazy barstool!

Well I've tested my switch extensively, and I'm confident it works.

Switch goes up...switch goes down...switch goes up...switch goes down...switch goes up...switch goes down...and soforth...

Seems to have all the fundamentals of a good switch! :)

19. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    There would be no problem if Mark would just call it the Placebo Switch.

20. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Have we met? ;)

I wish I knew he was starting up his steal money from bass players campaign again I might have been more inspired to fight my cold and talk to him. Maybe God gave me my cold to protect his favorite profit, er, uh, prophet.

Here's an email I just sent to Bass Guitar Magazine, I would encourage any one else who shares my views to do something similar.

bassresponse@guitarworld.com

Hello, I'm writing in regards to your carrying ads for Accugroove. I'm troubled with the content of the ad that claims the Accuswitch allows the cabinet to be either 4 or 8 ohms. This claim defies the laws of nature and has been shown to be fraudulent by Bass Player Magazine and numerous independent sources (please contact me if you'd like specifics).

I feel that this sort of deception hurts our community as a whole and would ask you to consider not running these ads unless Accugroove provides some sort of proof that their wild claims have any merit at all. A number of people have run impedance sweeps on these cabinets and have published the results showing these specific claims from Accugroove to be clearly fraudulent.

So for the sake of the bass playing community and the reputation of your otherwise great magazine please reconsider helping this company deceive us.