1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Was there ever a Tobias Growler with 2band EQ (aka which bass is this?)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by liquid-dream-ex, May 9, 2006.

1. Okay, so the people on another Bass-forum are trying to figure out which bass this is:

[​IMG]

Someone suggested it might be a Tobias, and i agreed (same strapknob placement, very similar looks on the whole).
    [​IMG]
    But after searching on the internet, i couldn't find any infos if there ever was a Tobias growler with only 2 band EQ.

Maybe someone of you got an idea?

2. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    Hm, this thing has 5 pots. I suppose one is for volume. It would be rather starnge if the remianing 4 pots were a 2 band preamp....

3. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    The Growler originally had two 2-band EQs, one for each half of the pickup. There was a blend knob, a master volume, and two stacked bass/treble controls. When Gibson restarted production of the Tobias line a few years ago, the Growler went to a straight 3-band EQ.

Mike

4. That looks like a Tobias similar to mine, one of the Korean made cheapies Gibson came out with in the late 90's before they moved to Arkansas. And changed the logo to the red and silver one. I have never been able to get a definitive take on mine either. Its a Killer B with a 2 band no name EQ and Tobias branded pickups. I loved it at first, hated it for a while, fell back in love with it when I re-setupped it. I still dont like the pickups on mine though. I am probably going to get some real barts or something, and maybe drop the change to get it routed and have a whammy bar installed. This is of course assuming that my Bass Safari in NYC goes well and I come back with a new main bass and the Faux-bias will be a spare, not worth enough to sell.
    I am curious, any pics of the back of the headstock or back of the neck?

5. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    There are no 2-band Killer B's. The Korean-made Toby line was made up of the Toby Deluxe (bolt-on with two Tobias-branded J-style pickups and a 2-bandEQ) and the Toby Custom (neck-through with maple/wenge neck and wings of maple or bubinga, Tobias-branded soapbars, and a 2-band EQ).

After the Gibson takeover, they did continue to make some US Tobiases for a while, including the Killer B, Growler, Basic, Classic, and Signature that are part of the current US line.

The headstock shape has been the same on all the Tobias models (including the Tobys) but the logo was different between the US and import models.

Mike

6. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    Don't forget the two mid-cut/boost switches. ;) The treble is a bit noisy, but other than that it's a great EQ system. Very versatile. I still need to rewire my input jack, been lazy lately.

7. Thanks! thats actually the most info I've ever got about the korean ones! I've posted on Tobias groups, emailed Tobias and Gibson etc. Heck when I got it the "Korea" of "made in Korea" was scratched out. Refering to the headstock, I was told that the logo changed colors when it moved to Arkansas. It used to be silver, then it was silver and red.

8. Peg_legs

Peg_legs

Nov 19, 2005
    Huntsville, AL
    Here's a Nashville built Growler

Attached Files:

9. Peg_legs

Peg_legs

Nov 19, 2005
    Huntsville, AL
    and body

Attached Files: