Was thinking of going Custom, but may go SR506...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DaveCustomMade, Sep 15, 2005.

1. I was thinking of eventually saving up for a nice custom bass, either by going with Warmoth/Bartolini electronics, or one of the other Custom builders such as Bass Kahuna. . . . . but I'm considering just going with the less expensive route and purchasing an Ibanez SR506 at the local music store. It still has Bartolini electronics, but also has the 16.5 mm string spacing that I like (I don't do slapping) and a 34" neck.

I've heard a lot of good things about the SR506, and perhaps I need to drop my "eliteist" attitude (not meant as a flame by ANY means!) and just go with the non custom rig. Sure, I'd like to be able to have a nice exotic top with matching head, but I'm not sure that it is enough to drop another $1,000 for those options.

What would be your thoughts on this?

BTW, FYI, when I buy, the price of the Warmoth parts wouldn't necessarily be a problem.

2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Nothing wrong with an SR506... as a matter of fact, once I sell my Spector, I think I'm gonna be picking up an SR506, they sound great, play like butter, sound great, and are one of the few 34" six stringers that sound great no matter what IMO.
  3. Okay, this is very odd...

I've been deeply considering a 506 for the longest time ever since playing one. The only reason is that I've known I can't afford a custom from Warmoth. However, just last night, for kicks, I decided to check up on the price of a Gecko 6 "My Way" came to around $1400 with case and two sets of strings. So, yeah, again, very weird. :bag:

4. What was your choice of Warmoth?

Here's what I was looking at:

Body - Burl Maple on Alder
    Neck - Pau Ferro on Maple, 6130 frets, Burl Maple veneer, no gecko inlay.
    Black or Gold hardware (wasn't sure)
    Bartolini pickups and preamp from bestbassgear.com
    Miscellaneous other necessary items.

All together, it would put it at around $1,500 with Warmoth putting a satin finish on the neck and body. $230 less if I spray polyurethane on it in my garage.

But, thinking more fiscally sound, it may be a better choice to just get the SR506 since I can 'test play' it before buying to see if I like the feel or sound. The only negative point is not having the more exotic look. :-/
  5. fiebru1119

Mar 2, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    the SR506 is a great bass! IMO it sounds great. the only reason i dont own one is the tight string spacing..
  6. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    :eek: i only have 21 on my bass!

just kidding.
  7. :p

That's a rather low profile fret, . . . . . the thinking was that it would have less fret buzz and be some quicker. Could be flawed thinking.
  8. I was looking into an Alder bodied 6 with a flamed maple top, maple neck, and was hoping maybe a birdseye board to match. I was also wanting a black peg head front to achieve that kinda Cirrus-esque look I wanted. Pickups and preamp, I was planning on Seymour Duncan phase two with 3 band preamp. I play alot of hard rock, and love the aggressiveness of SD that I've heard through basses like Laklands and Ibanez RDs. Hardware, black, the D'Addario strings, and case to top it all off... Wait, forgot the glossy natural finish sans gecko inlay. I was planning on having it taken to a custom luthier and having a custom inlay on the 12th fret as well, you know, for the Cirrus-esque look I mentioned earlier? lol. I know, long post, sorry. Yes, I know, I just be better off with a Cirrus :D .

9. Yeah, you probably should just go with the Cirrus, but then you wouldn't have the joy of putting the Warmoth together. :)

Back to the topic at hand......

About what I may do, though, I know for certain that my wife would like the extra grand savings if I went with the SR506.

Another thing that I would want would be a matching head. On the Ibanez site, it looks to be a black head, but I've seen other pictures with the head matching. Is it an option? I mean, Mahogony isn't necessarily my first choice in wood, but it is still a nice looking wood, and having matching head veneer would make me admire the SR506 even more.
  10. bville

Aug 25, 2005
    The 506 is a great-sounding bass; one heck of a deal for the money. I've gigged with one for the past few months and have found it a pleasure to play.
  11. You know, I HAD thought of getting one of those Brice HXB-406 basses and upgrading the electronics to Barts, but after seeing the price of the SR506 I wouldn't have saved much money with the upgraded Brice (may have even cost more), what with shipping of the bass, as well as the cost of the Bart electronics shipped, so the SR506 is still a better choice. Probably has a lot better knobs, bridge, tuners, etc. then the Brice anyway.
  12. Well, I played a 5 string Ibanez with the MK1 Barts. It was the neck through model.

Whereas it did seem to sound a little better than my Peavey, overall, I guess I wasn't too overly impressed. I believe that I may end up spending twice the amount for a Warmoth Gecko 6 and just get what I really would want.