1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Was this a bad thing to do?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by JimmyM, Dec 30, 2011.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    On my Facebook friends list, I have a singer for a rock band who was huge in the 70's with a different singer, and became huge again in the 80's with this singer. I don't want to name names, but pretty much everyone in the world over 30 has heard of them.

So he puts up a post on Facebook today decrying the use of Autotune. Meanwhile, while he was with this unnamed band, they used an Akai sampler for their background vocals onstage. This is fact, and I had it confirmed by their guitarist's tech shortly after he left the band. So I posted, "Samplers are OK, though ;) " because I thought he was being a bit of a hypocrite.

Was that a dick move? Should I have just let it go? I don't really know the guy, but he is a Facebook friend, and I usually try to keep it light on Facebook (unless some bastard says something bad about my precious Ampeg!). But now I'm equal parts proud of myself and regretful. I don't know which side should win out, so I thought I'd put it up to a vote.

What do you think?

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I would do the same, but I'm not the nicest man in the world.

-Mike

3. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    I thought it was funny. Basically every artist uses auto-tune, but it's not a complete crutch for lack of talent. You still have to sing well or else it becomes VERY apparent that auto tune is on because you'll hear the note bend in a very unnatural way.

4. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

I would disagree with that personal assessment Mike :)

One thing you can never do in the music industry is be disingenuous and expect to get away with it. They put that target on their back and someone with good aim took the shot.

Such is life in a fishbowl.

5. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    See how it plays out-then you'll know.

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'm with you on this one. But Ampeg still sucks.

6a00d8341c562c53ef015431f3bbe4970c-800wi.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    BTW, this wasn't meant to be any more than a little poke in the ribs. The guy is a fantastic singer and doesn't need samplers or Autotune.

8. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    I probably wouldn't have said it (unless I had a few drinks in me, then all bets are off), but I don't think it was a total dick move unless you really don't know him very well. If you guys are strangers outside of FB it was maybe poor form.

9. I wouldn't say that you did anything wrong, and it was done tongue in cheek.

But some people can be pretty touchy, and a little hypocritical (some times more than a little...). I played with a guy who loved to dish it out, but acted like a complete douche/child if he got any back... 'course, that didn't stop me... (it may have something to do with why I no longer play with him, I dunno).

Just wait and see what his reaction is, if any. He may see the irony, smile to himself, and mutter "prick" under his breath, then wait for a chance to get you back.

You never know. But I certainly wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

10. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I probably wouldn't have been able to resist making that rib-poke either, but so too I would have felt conflicted afterward.

You never know how they'll react though. Some people can take a few jabs, while others freak out. I lost a good friend by making a light jab almost exactly like that one (he said something humorously hypocritical about religion/philosophy)--but honestly his overreaction was nuts.

11. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    I'd have said it, too, but I'm a bit of a jerk most of the time.

12. LOL - I have done similar things where I'm half proud and half thinking I am way dumber than the guy that keeps his mouth shut (ever had Tim Bogert so mad by some truth you spoke in a company meeting that you thought he might hit you?) :)

I think because you used the wink emoticon, you might be safe -- unless the guy doesn't have a sense of humor.

By the way, I think autotune stuff sounds like crap, but I *have* used samples before where we didn't have the musicians to play the part live :)

And now I want to send you a FB friend request because I am curious! LOL

13. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I want names. Or I'm deleting you on Facebook, Miller. :eyebrow:

14. Skitch it!

Skitch it!

Sep 6, 2010
    This might be the angle that he may see though Jimmy, I don't know but - he knows what you mean, you know what you mean, but anyone else might think the sampling might be connected straight to him, do you think he might see it like that?

15. I think you did fine. Those who take a superior attitude need to be ready to have their own practices examined.

16. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

Feb 4, 2009
    I think I'd have phrased it as a question, like, "What about samplers?"

17. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Being honest can sometimes hurt feelings, but being honest is still the "thing to do", I think. Comedy hurts too, but it's still funny.

18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Well it's been hours and he hasn't replied or blocked me, so I guess I'm OK ;)

19. A wee bit of a dick move perhaps. At least the vocals being sampled were originally recorded honestly, even if they're not being duplicated honestly on stage. I agree wiith the singer: Autotune is in a category of dishonesty all to itself, perhaps the ultimate deception.

20. blastoff99

blastoff99 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2011
    SW WA, USA
    JimmyM, I thought what you did hit the right balance. Funny but not too cutting, personal but not private. I predict your friend, if he has *any* ability to laugh at himself, will chalk up one point in your column and get you later.

Bravo!