Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Was this a deal or a dud?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by purfektstranger, Jan 15, 2006.

1. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
  2. Yeah, honestly, I don't think I could ever justify spending that much money on just a body... Even if it really is an early to mid 60's body... What's the big deal? I don't get the hype from vintage Fender stuff at all.. But I guess it's one of those, "You had to live through it to appreciate it" era attachment kinda thing.

-ryan-

3. i honestly think it looks like crap. it looks liek a bad sand job with a bad clear coat. maybe its just me i dont know. and 700 bucks for a body is real expensive i think. id rather a brand new MIA.

4. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    When CBS owned Fender a lot of people were unhappy, It was a big deal to get a Pre-CBS Fender, I guess they are feeding off of that.
    What amazes me is the CBS Fenders are selling as Vintage and getting big bucks.
    Kinka like when AMF, a bowling ball co. owned Harley. People still won't touch them. You literally could not ride one without a tool box. They broke down that bad. Almost ruined Harley.

5. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    That's quite a bit of money for a piece of wood, one that the seller cannot guarantee originality...

Buyer beware...

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It's way too high. Even if the buyer could get an early neck for it, nothing on the bass would be original, and the true vintage lovers would stick their collective noses up at it. There's no reason to believe that 1963 wood is going to sound any better than 2006 wood. The guy got ripped.

7. jwymore

jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    From my limited experience it looks like it is legit but is in such bad shape that it hardly commands a decent price and IMHO has no vintage value. Now, if it had the original finish I could see $700.00.

8. west*coast*bass

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA

My questions is, how can someone judge the authenticity from a piece of wood? Unless I missed something, I didn't see telltale markings in the neck pocket and even so, those can be reproduced. Am I missing something?

I'm sure someone can fake something like that with very little effort.

9. Hey guys...I just bought a MIM Jazz...threw it against a brick wall a few times...and then I ran over it with my car...

I just ripped the neck off and stripped off the paint with some suspicious solvent...then I wacked on some Krylon clear coat and want to sell it on ebay as a "non-confirmable" 1963 Jazz bass body.

How about $720 for it????

WHAT??? WHAT????

10. west*coast*bass

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA

Don't they have decaf there?

11. jwymore

jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Like I said, I'm no expert, but the shape of the routes and the shielding plates look original and the color in the neck pocket and the outline of the hang stick look about right. It also has cover holes (although I don't see mute drillings) in the right places. I'm certainly not hanging my life on this assessment, just throwing in my 2 cents worth. Like stated above, even if it's original I doubt it has much value based on the condition. It's damn sure not an MIM!! :)

12. 700 dollars for a poor/average looking plank of wood and nothing else? Please.

13. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    That's a high price. Collectors want all-original vintage pieces and, no matter how you slice it, it's not going to be all-original. Even if you manage to find every original bit of that bass, it's still a refin and the solder joints have been broken.
    That said, I too have overpaid (not $700 though) to restore my personal basses. It's alot cheaper to pay $50-$75 for an obscure single tuner than to buy the whole bass for $1500.

14. for the player, too high. for the collector, no way. not original.
    but, for the forger, money in the bank. paired with a vintage neck, this body will be back on e-bay, as an "original" bass in no time. buyers be aware!!:cool: