1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Was this a screw-up at the factory?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ronin614, Jan 13, 2018.

Tags:
  1. ronin614

ronin614

May 15, 2008
    IMG_1346.JPG IMG_1345.JPG Last night I removed the rear strap pin on my new bass to put on straplocks, and I found this. I've never seen this before. Was this done to fix a screw-up at the factory?

I'm not so much worried about the cracks in the finish as I am about the metal piece.

Thanks

2. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Wow is that a new bass?

3. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Did you buy it new? It looks like it was dropped straight down on the strap button, jamming it into the body and cracking the finish...and then somewhat fixed.

SirMjac28, madmanmerc, nixdad and 4 others like this.
  4. ronin614

ronin614

May 15, 2008
    Yes, it's brand new. That metal piece was under the strap button when I removed it. It's not an expensive bass, and the company has a really good return policy, so I'm not too worried. I thought this was a problem, I just wasn't positive.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  5. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    That is probably shipping damage. If the strap button isn’t protected properly when packed for shipping, it gets bashed into the body like this. I have seen this dozens of times, and it’s one of the first things I look for when I receive a bass or guitar.

6. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2011
    If the strap lock button fits cleanly on top and is secure when attached I wouldn't worry about it personally. Just rock it.

7. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I don't think it's shipping damage, as you can see somebody stuck a washer in there to try to fix it.

8. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I somewhat agree, as I bought a Lakland 'B Stock' with the same thing. It was just a Skyline 5501 and it was about half price so I didn't have an issue with it.

But the finish is ruined in that area, so it all depends...is this a $150 bass or a $2500 bass? If it's a $150 bass, rock it. If it's a $2500 bass, I wouldn't want that on it.

9. ronin614

ronin614

May 15, 2008
    I guess that's my question: is it normal for that metal piece to be there? I've never seen that before.

10. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Completely unacceptable.
    I returned a Squier CV Jazz because of the typical stress cracks at the neck pocket and they were only noticeable upon close examination.
    Since you said returns are no problem, I'd return it.

SirMjac28, Winoman and EatS1stBassist like this.
  11. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg Keyboards
    Return it or see if you can at least get some money back.

12. I thought from the first photo it was the back of the neck! I'd call that a screwup at the factory for sure!

13. Warhawk

Warhawk

Jan 31, 2003
    Canton, Ohio
    Yeah, I was sitting here wondering what bass has a strap pin on the back of the neck! LOL

Unless it's a really cheap bass that plays and looks perfect (besides the obvious) I'd return it.

14. Same here. Damn near gave me a heart attack!

15. Ampslut

Ampslut Supporting Member

May 15, 2017
    That is what I'm thinking too from the picture. The washer makes up for the way the strap button got pushed in when it was dropped.

To return it or not? Depends on how much you paid for it.

Warhawk likes this.
  16. Panther

Panther

Dec 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia
    I always consider potential resale (issues) no matter what I buy..

17. b3e

b3e

Sep 5, 2017
    Warsaw, Poland
    It's not normal, but.. if you got it at a very good price, or if you can use this "feature" to drop the price down, and the instrument sounds good, do you really care about a strap button pushed inside the body? It's like you had a small ding in a great car, would you not enjoy it anyways? It doesn't influence the sound. Just play the heck or of it and have fun. :)

18. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I'd return it or ask for a significant $$ adjustment. Have you spoken with the supplier / manufacturer?

Riis

organworthyplayer337 likes this.
  19. Axstar

Axstar

Jul 8, 2016
    East of Eden.
    That bass was dropped on its ass. I don't think it matters if it happened in the factory, in the warehouse or on the shop floor. I would have a quiet word with the seller!

20. BassAgent

BassAgent

Dec 2, 2003
    Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    Official Artist: Eich Amplification
    If it's a good bass: don't return it. It'd be a shame if you return it and get another one instead which feels worse. Try to get a significant amount of money back for it. As more people have said: this was dropped in the factory or warehouse or whatever. Totally unacceptable to sell a, let's be fair, broken bass as brand new. But if it sounds/feels good: keep it and get a refund.