1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Was This Ampeg B-15 Really at Woodstock?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by OldFenderPlayer, Aug 6, 2012.

1. This might be another Port-A-Flex job for PBS's History Detectives.

For a cool $7.5k you can pick up off eBay an early 1960s Ampeg B-15 that the seller claims was on stage with Mountain at Woodstock. No proof or indication of documentation is given in the ad.

Since the group's bassist at Woodstock, Felix Pappalardi, died in 1983, he can't comment on its authenticity.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Early-60s-A...faultDomain_0&hash=item1e70d1f1f0#ht_342wt_91

2. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    I keep thinking Mountain used big amps... I wasn't at Woodstock, though.

3. TheCush

TheCush

Jul 15, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Bump...but skeptical!

4. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    I believe Pappalardi used Sunn's. At least he did the 7 or 8 times I saw Mountain. Ufortunately, Woodstock wasn't one of those shows. :(

5. Joedog

Joedog

Jan 28, 2010
    Pensacola FL
    I don't get spending stupid $$$$ just because it was "somewhere", or "someone" played it (or signed it, LOL). Sorry, JMO.

6. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Kansas City, MO
    If you have ever watched Pawn Stars then you know that without documentation it is just another cool old Ampeg Fliptop amp. Seller really needs to provide some form of documentation to back up his claim? Even if it was at Woodstock, does that make it worth that much more?

7. TheCush

TheCush

Jul 15, 2008
    Portland, OR
    I'm with you.

8. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    I don't care if the amp was played at Woodstock. I wouldn't pay a premium for it even if it was. :D

9. Vintage-Blue

Vintage-Blue Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 13, 2008
    Cincinnati, OH
    Owner, Vintage Blue (repro cabinets)
    This is a new lower price too. The first time it was listed the seller was looking for $9500.

10. YuppyPunk

YuppyPunk

Oct 21, 2011
    I can see it for iconic instruments or amps. But "also there" category doesn't hold much appeal to me either.

11. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    Sounds like a rip off to me.

12. dbd1963

dbd1963

May 18, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    If it shouldn't be in a museum, then it's not worth anything extra to me. And if it should be in a museum, then it should be in a museum.

13. I imagine at a muti-day, multi band event like Woodstock, there was a LOT of equipment that was "on stage" with various bands over the course of the event.

Based on what I know about Woodstock, much of what was done was on an as-needed and seat-of-the pants basis. I bet documentation is hard to come by. Plus a band that put "made loud to be played loud" on their record album covers doesn't seem like a band that would have ampeg fliptops as their bass rig of choice. I've seen footage of them using lots of Sunn cabs as well.

14. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    Mountain used several big SUNN Amps at woodstock, something like 3-4 amps for both Felix and Leslie. During Leslies Solo, their tech hooked up Felix's SUNNS to Leslies set up too. From a interview with Leslie

I don't think they did used that amp... but thats just going from what other people have said (who were there), and footage i've seen. :rolleyes:

Here's one picture of (some?) the stage earlier in the day i'd assume.

From other people talking about it, The SUNN Amps (200's? 2000's?) were pretty much the de-facto back line for a lot of the artists, like Mountain and Sly & The Family Stone.

The backline in the picture looks like the same one as used by Mountain.

Again, just from what I've seen and read....

EDIT: Now that I look at that picture, whats that amp on the left side of the stage? Hmmmmm....

15. bjabass

bjabass

Jan 10, 2011
    Mountain South
    Judging by Papalardi's sound with Mountain, it might have been onstage, but if he was using it there had to be at least 11 others just like it onstage too......

16. I SERIOUSLY doubt that Mountain used that. I have/had seen them many times over the years and, unless they hid the amp, it didn't happen. They, like every other band back then, went LARGE. Sunn, ACC, Fender, etc.....

They hadn't yet started using fake cabs and baby amps.....

17. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
  18. D.M.N.

D.M.N. (O))))

Oct 6, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    I highly doubt it. I've only ever heard of Felix using Sunns while with Mountain, and even if he used other amps in the studio, I can't believe he would even bother with a B-15 live. There's no way it would be audible over the roar of 6+ or so Sunns running onstage. However, the add doesn't mention Felix, so maybe it was used by Steve Knight as a monitor or something? Either way, seems pretty dubious to me.

Here are some clips of Mountain at Woodstock, with the Sunns clearly visible. I believe Felix is using 200s here.

19. rapidfirerob

rapidfirerob Fusion rules!

I'm sure I can come up with some fine swamp land for sale if anyone wants it.

20. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    A possibility not discussed yet is if there were warmup tents for Woodstock bands that had some small equipment so they could tune their guitars offstage and loosen up a little. A B-15 would be perfect for something like that...loud enough to hear but not enough to interfere with the band onstage.