Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

was this mucicmaster overpriced??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by arnegp, Jul 13, 2004.

1. arnegp

arnegp

Jul 10, 2004
    i've been looking for a musicmaster bass for some time and been
    watching some auctions at eaby.
    some hours ago a beautiful olympic white bass with case and
    all the original paperwork ended at $865!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38079&item=3735122657&rd=1

isn't that overpriced way up in thee sky? or can these basses
    be worth this much? i know it was a good one, but $865? :eek:
    yikes. what do you think?

2. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    That is really top dollar for a Musicmaster, but then, I can see the appeal - it looks like it's come straight from the factory, and with all the case candy, I'll bet it's a collector or dealer who's picked that up. To get any 30 year old instrument in that condition is pretty damn near impossible, so the buyer was probably paying more for the originality of the instrument rather than the fact that it was a Musicmaster bass. And don't forget, it's not just the bass the buyer wanted, it's the whole package - excellent condition original case, case candy, hang tags - all of that counts. But yeah, that's WAY over their current value.

Just out of curiosity, why do want a Musicmaster so much? I used to own one, and I gotta admit, they're fairly underwhelming instruments. I bought mine as I really wanted a Mustang, but I thought they were too expensive, so my logical conclusion was "oh, a Musicmaster is nearly the same". Which I now think was a mistake. Have you tried one out? I mean, if you have, and you liked it, then great - go get one and enjoy it. But if you've never tried one, I'd strongly suggest you do so before spending money on one. Some people love them, but they're not for everybody.

3. byrdsfan

byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    L.I.
    Ive posted about my MusicMaster, which was returned to me after 25 years. Mine is a '69 and when it was brand new looked this one. I soon took care of that.
    I was happy to get it back but soon realized it was the same little fart machine i got tired of many moons ago. If not for sentimental value, i would give it back to the friend who returned it. I still might.
    I had $175 worth of work done on it so it looks presentable but compared to my other guitars, it needs twice the volume and still sounds like bleech.
    Still it looks cool on the stand!