Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Was this the right move or not?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by PinkFloyd76767, Apr 7, 2003.

1. Alright let me lay you the scene here. I'm in a band that was originally doing to be a punk-rock to hard-rock band. All was happy in my little world and eventually I started taking jazz lessons and I discovered Jaco. Alright so everything was going good until the rhyhem guitarist started to really be a poser and follow exactly what the lead guitarist did. Never disagreed or questioned anything. Now this was still okay but then they started getting into metal alot more which is okay but really isn't my bag. So I asked, "Alright guys metals cool but lets do some of the stuff I like too." I said this numerous times usually getting no response. As this was happening I was getting more into jazz and growing (or so i felt) further away from the rhythem guitarist because he became frustrating. Practices were definatly going down hill as we would play three songs together and then I would sit on my amp as they played some more metal that I had no clue to as what it was.

Today was the end of it. I just couldn't take anymore of it so I just said **** it and I quit the band. I feel kinda relived that I did that but the lead guitarist was so good I just dunno how to feel. I guess that I just didn't want to bring the band down. I could only fake so much metal but eventually, especially sense they were getting more into it, I just had to quit. I guess Ill start getting into jazz more. I know a drummer who takes lessons so we'll probably hook up.

Anyway, should I have stayed or what?

Thanks

2. if you weren't enjoying yourself, you were probably right to leave. and you could still probably do something with the lead guitarist and not the others if you want; maybe you two could both hook up with that second drummer you mentioned.

3. A band is like a family (or a secret club - yeah that sounds cooler!) :D

If there's problems between members - the music is gonna suffer. 9.5 times out of 10 it will always end before anything good happens.

Good call on leaving - you'll thank yourself later.

4. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    If you’re not enjoying it then there is no reason to stay in the band. You will never get anything done and your playing will suffer if you do. You definitely made the right choice.

5. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    Good move! Theres a million guitar players. Expand your choices, meet some new people. Its always a bummer to end a relationship:bawl: . But you will learn something new. What everyone else said, "if it ain't fun, then I'm done!":D :bassist:

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You done good. Relief is the clue.

7. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I left my band for a similar reason.

The guitarist was one of those prissy little "my ideas!" a**holes. We worked on the same 4 songs for six months because he always changed something drastic.

After I played with my other friend on drums, I said screw it and left my band in hopes of starting a band with the drummer friend.

8. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    If you weren't happy, you did the right thing.

Don't worry - good guitarists are easy to find; it's OPEN-MINDED good guitarists that are an endangered species.

9. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    What should you have stayed for?

10. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Okay, I'll play devil's advocate...

My standard answer to such questions: Stay in your current band until you have another project lined up.

I'm finding it increasingly excruciating to follow my own advice on this, and sometimes I feel like I'm trying to make some kind of musical martyr out of myself, but the truth is that I'd rather play music I dislike with a band, than play music I like in my headphones at home. :(

11. leftybassdog

leftybassdog Senior Supporting Member

good move ! if your a gun for hire you play what they tell you too and get paid for it, but if your in a band you should do what you feel and if its not what you want to do its best to find a group on the same page as you, dont play what you dont feel !