Was This Too Much?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by ebladeboi123, Jan 22, 2006.

1. ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    Okay, so tonight was "The Rockoff." It's played a huge cleveland club called The Odeon, and has been around for about 10 years. 300 bands entered, 72 made semis, 18 made finals. There all bands from the cleveland area, and appearantly that scene is somewhat respected in "The business" (according to the producer).

But this year my band composed of all Sophmores entered again. We entered last year as freshmen with a terrible demo, and appearantly we took the judges by surprise, made finals. Then proceeding to win the entire thing. A totally overwhelming expirence for freshmen. The worst part was we were proceeded to be bashed for the rest of the year.

This year- we've taken a new approach, we're no longer the youngest (actually we still were...) but we basically weren't all freshmen still, so we had some "seniority" and it was our second year. We've been rehearseing like crazy, 4 practices a week 3 hours each, practicing the same 4 songs. We know the songs like mad, and we play them well imho. But this year, we've added this OUTSTANDING (I use caps because he deserves it) tenor sax player. A good trumptest, and a 8 peice choir. The horns were used "James Brownish" with just little splices and a tenor solo. The choir was used on the end of a song, and during the chorus- during the chorus they sang "OOOoooo's" harmonized 4 parts of course on top of the main chorus- sounds pretty awesome to me. And we also have them repeat "He shall be right" at the end of the song in a 5 pt harmony with the original lead singer- which is really awesome. But we played our set tonight- we advanced to the finals yay for that... But some of the feedback has been rather disturbing. Most of the feedback has said basically this "It was completly un necessary and ridiculous for Eclyptic (my band) to bring out an 8 peice choir. In my opinion you can bring out 5000 people, but if you no talent you still suck." It's obvious we have talent, i don't feel like being modest, I dont' see many other sophmores taking the stage around us, and actually putting on a show.

Was haveing a horn section and an 8 peice choir really too much? Our theory was- if we can do it, why the hell shouldn't we? Bigger is better right?

Thanks for reading the epic
  2. I can see your point, but the only question that comes to mind. Is this your bands usual line up or did you prepare this just for the competition? A large production like that is hard to compete with. It's kind of like bringing in Ted Williams (a ringer) to a company baseball game.

If there are no rules on what you can bring as a band then you clearly should win if the judges decide so. Putting together a large band like that and pulling it off is a lot of work that requires talent as a band leader, also If you were covering up a sub par band with lots of flash I'm sure the judges would have not advanced you to the finals.

The bands with the negative feedback are simply lashing out because they think you have an unfair advantage. It should simply be ignored. Basically, it's the sore losers.

Lashing out at the winners in a band competition is a common thing because whatever it is that makes them the winner is highly subjective. If you were a four piece band that won on musicianship alone, the other bands will complain that they had better stage presents, and so on. It's not very often that a band will come up with the complete package and blow everyone else off the stage and clearly come of as the winners. There will always be someone with negative feedback.

Good luck with the finals. :bassist:
  3. ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    We came into the competition thinking on the score sheets. So this is not our normal line up (all though we would love to add the sax player to our line up). We've looked at the 3 categories- musicianship, originality, and stage presence. So, we used the choir and horns to raise Musicianship and Originality, we figure our stage presence is all but handeled.

As you said- it really did take alot of work to rehearse this choir (again made up of sophmores and freshmen)

Thanks for the input.
  4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I think three good backup singers could have been used instead of a choir. Otherwise, you're there to entertain. I like a lot of people on stage. I don't like computers playing part of the music. I think you done good.
  5. FriscoBassAce

Dec 29, 2004
    Frisco, Texas
    Independent Manufacturers Representative
    Agreed! If you can pull off a full-blown rock and roll show, then more power to ya! Your setup kind of reminds me of seeing The Who back in 1989. They had a full horn section, as well as additional percussionists and several backup singers. I don't think they had a choir, but I've seen that done before as well. But I've never seen it on your level, so that is what is kick-a$$ about what you're doing. I bet it sounds phenomenal!
  6. DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Agreed. Hopefully the judges see effort.

7. Whats a "Sophmore"? - I've heard it mantioned in films but... what's it mean guys?
  8. ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    It means we're in our second year of highschool (10th grade).

We got our judges sheets back. And we averaged a 27/30 overall. Our lowest was stage presence, and our musicianship lowest score out of 10 was a 9. From what I've heard the next best band got a 22, so it looks like we're doing pretty well

I'll let you guys know how it goes on saturday (finals).

9. Mysticflame

Feb 8, 2005
    Did you happen to see the band "Slander" there? Tell me if they sucked hard-core. I've heard their demo and hated their singer.

Otherwise, I think it was maybe a little overboard with the size of the choir, but the rest is fine.
  10. alapantera

Mar 22, 2004
    I wouldn't mind seeing a video of this setup. :hyper:

There's nothing wrong with what you guys are doing or the contest organizers wouldn't allow you to do it in the first place. It sounds like you guys have invested a lot time and effort into preparing your set. Any success you encounter will be greatly deserved.
  11. Theonestarchild

Theonestarchild Artfully lost

Aug 23, 2005
    North Carolina
    Kiss did it with the MSO. Metallica did it. It ADDS to the sound. But, I'll go ahead and say that three backup singers and a sax player would have been good. 15 people on stage... that's a little much. But, whatever suits you. Remember, it's not about contest winning. It's about getting your message out there. Your music holds a message. You want to let everyone else hear it.
  12. RSalvador

Nov 19, 2005
    Springfield, MO
    I think what you did is cool. I understand the fact that its a competition, but you guys are young and have many years ahead of you to accomplish whatever can.

So unless winning this thing is the most important deal in the world to you, what you did stands on it's own merit and should be savored as an experience of a lifetime. I've never done anything like that but I'd jump at the chance. You may not have as many opportunities to produce and put on your own all out show.

As long as you fully expressed yourselves in a way that you are truly happy with, you'll have something you can be proud of and nobody can take that away from you no matter what critics say. Besides according to your score you obviously did NOT "suck". The rest is subjective.

13. So...how did you do?