1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Was this worth it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Band Dad, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Band Dad

Band Dad

Dec 5, 2006
    San Mateo, CA
    Am I moving too far in the wrong direction here?
    I bought a Squier P-Bass with the P/J pickup confiq off Craigslist for $50. I thought I couldn't go wrong at that price. Turns out it's in near perfect condition and is what I believe to be Shoreline Gold, a brassy metalic gold, not yellow gold.
    I couldn't believe the finish on this! Very nice and clean workmanship. Better than any of the MIMs I've worked on. Tuners are very smooth.

Because it's a P/J, I swapped out the pups with a set of vintage (branded logo) active EMGs. The battery fit perfect perfectly. I did have to install new mini-pots.
    I had a Gotoh Bridge lying around and put that on.

Now I have to think about selling this little beauty, but wonder if I may have made a mistake with the upgrades. Can I get a good price for this, or am I stuck letting it go for less than I'd like because it's a Squire?

No pic. Hate my camera.

2. you can probably sell it for more than you bought it, but maybe you should keep it a while and see if you like it?
    usually when you mod a bass you dont get as much out of it as you put in it - even in your case where you got it for almost free.

Just my two cents.

3. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    The upgrades probaly won't hurt resale on something as low end as a Squier. I don't think they'll add much, if any, value though. But, it could be that yours gets snatched up faster than a stock one. A lot of folks buy these with the idea of upgrading it themselves, which is why you probably won't get more for it than a regular one. However, it doesn't sound like you invested too much $$ in it, so no worries there I guess.

Upgrades are usually done with your personal taste in mind, not someone else's. That is why, unless you find someone with the exact same taste as you, it usually doesn't pay to upgrade your bass signifcantly. Not that I am against, I have upgraded a few pieces myself. I just understand that its solely for myself and I don't usually expect to recover the investment.

Best of luck to you.

4. Band Dad

Band Dad

Dec 5, 2006
    San Mateo, CA
    Thanks for the input TBers.This would be a keeper if I didn't have bills to pay. I'd rethink my plans if a tort guard was easily had for these (it's white presently). Unfortunately, Squires, it seems, require custom made replacement guards.
    I've put together only one other "personal" bass, and haven't thought much of thr problems I'd face with a bass that's upgraded to my personal tastes. Thanks, Double Agent for that perspective.