Was watching NFL superbowl last night....

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Nickthebassist, Feb 7, 2005.

1. Hmmm, I don't get it. Can anyone explain the rules to me? It looks a bit like our Rugby, but what's with all the padding? I mean, our rugby players would take tackles like that without any padding what so ever. ANyway, what are the rules?
  2. What? :eyebrow:
  3. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI

Padding? :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

4. Yeh, those stupid helmets and stuff. Why? They're totally pointless.
  5. Nick, if it wasn't for the pads and helmet half the players in the NFL would be out with major injuries or dead.
  6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I'd rather be hit with someones skull than a helmet. Padding => armor ---> more impact.
  7. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Same here.
  8. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX

I've watched Rugby many times and for the most part the kinds of hits that they take and give aren't as violent as the worst hits in any given NFL game. You can claim they are all you want but I've seen it and they simply aren't. It's two different games, one requires pads. Otherwise there would be severe injuries and deaths.

BTW, this whole "football vs. rugby" thing has been done many times here and everywhere. Yeah, yeah...you're just asking for an explanation of the game....sure you are.

brad cook
  9. thanks brad...

nick...check out NFL.com or a similar site for an explanation of rules, if you really want to know the rules.
  10. Nick, that is why I said what I said. I woulda figured that was obvious. Thanks Brad! :D
  11. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I've talked with many former pro football players that played with and without modern helmets (leather without face masks) and they all said the same thing. They'd rather play with the weaponry, er, I mean "padding" (as you seem to think it is) because it delivers a much more direct and damaging blow.

As Ray Nitschke told me when I asked him about it, he asked me, "Would you rather get hit by a fist or a bowling ball?

A study was done that showed that pro football players hitting each other at full impact was the equivalent of ramming your car into a brick wall at 30 M.P.H.

SIDE NOTE: Interestingly enough, the only rugby players that have ever tried to make it in pro football and actually were good enough, were kickers. :)
  12. LOL! Sory, but I'm afraid some of the tackles last night were TINy insignificant things compared to what a 19 stone ruby player can land on you. A lot of the NFl players are fat as hell, most rugby players are extremely fit and agile, aswell as being extremely strong and tough. :)
  13. Seriously someone like Martin Johnson(ex-england captain) would be immense at American Football. He's huge, and also one of the hardest people ever to walk the face of the earth.
  14. Nick, the fat ones your talking about are the linemen. The ones on offense are there to protect the person with the ball and the other big guys on defense are there to push the big guys on offense out of the way and try to kill the person with the ball. And just go to one of the games and tell me the hits don't look hard. I've seen normal hits on TV and then I went to a couple games and they are hittin damn hard - You just can't tell on TV all the time.
  15. Nick, please just stop now, really.
  16. I'd quite happily give American Football a go. I really don't think it can hurt as much as rugby, believe me.
  17. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    What does this:

...have to do with this?

Seriously, Nick. They are both very tough sports. Leave it at that.
  18. so nick, why isn't he playing american football right now if he'd be so good?

i'd love to see a rugby guy step in the NFL, but it's probably not going to happen. That'd be like saying they hit harder in hockey, and a hockey player would be the hardest hitting football player of all time...no...its two different sports.

nick listen to mon!
    just stop now!