Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

wash and wax?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sloppysubs, Jun 23, 2003.

1. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    how often shoudl i wax my warwick infinity. ive only had it for abotu 2 weeks so far, but its not looking pale or anything. so what do i do and when do i do it.

2. stuie86

stuie86

May 9, 2003
    mckinney, tx
    is it a natral wood finish or a coated?? these are factors

... mines coated and i polish it when it gets oily, dirty or a week sence i polished it...

just use your best jugment

3. I just wash my bass with a damp cloth. Once you start waxing it that stuff doesn't come off very easily. 10 years down the line (if you expect to keep it that long) that wax will really show.

4. While that's very true for a sealed finish like the Stingray, an Infinity (unless it was custom ordered) has an oil finish and needs to be waxed.

The Warwick manual says to wax your bass about once monthly. Also, don't forget to do the headstock, back and sides included. If I need to do a quick touch-up job before a gig, I use a piece of saran wrap around the strings to protect them. You can get in between the pickups without taking the strings off this way. Nothing will deaden strings faster than beeswax, but I'm sure you've discovered that already.

5. stuie86

stuie86

May 9, 2003
    mckinney, tx
    beeswax!!!!!... hope your not talking about the stuff you put in your hair.

i must sound really stupid right now....:rolleyes: :p

6. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    yea its natural and no special and orders here. so yea i guess once a month.

7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    It's recommended to clean your bass before waxing, or else you'll cover the dirt with wax.

I've found that if the neck gets sticky, all you need is a damp cloth with a little soap or sth, and the dirt will come off. Most of the time you don't even have to wax it afterwards. I do it every few days though, and wax it every month or two.