Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wash-Post Style Invitational Encore

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mud Flaps, Jul 9, 2004.

1. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Every Sunday, the Washington Post has a style invitational. This is a humor competition in which people from the DC-Baltimore Metropolitan Area and elsewhere write and wire in clever responses to clever questions. Week 551 was particularly funny. It was called "Lost in Translation".

The competition was to see who could who put in an English phrase into the www.google.com translator (in language tools), translate it into another language, and translate the translation back into English.

Here were the results (scroll down to "Report from Week 551"): http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn?pagename=article&contentId=A39930-2004Apr24&notFound=true

Since I have been laughing about this for months, I'd decided I would like to try it myself, and I invite you all to participate as well.

2. That looks stupid, yet fun!

3. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    English: It takes a bold man to tell a poop joke in front of so many people.

German: Es nimmt einen fetten Mann, um einen poopwitz vor so vielen Leuten zu tun.

English: It takes a fat man in order to do one poopwitz before so many people.

4. "I like to kick babies." to French

"J'aime donner un coup de pied des bébés." to German

"Ich mag einen Hieb von Fuß der Babys geben." back to English

"I may give a blow of foot of the babies."

Heh.

Edit: Put through Spanish, Portugeuse and Italian, it ends up: "I can give to cast of the foot of the children."

Mental.

5. It's sort of like talking in the Old English way. Yay or Nay?

6. After an hour of exercise, you will feel stronger.

(French) After one hour of exercise, you will smell yourselves more extremely. (Pat Lark, Arlington)

:D

7. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    smooth paste, smooth paste, smooth paste, smooth paste, smooth paste, smooth paste, smooth paste, smooth paste, smooth paste, smooth paste, smooth paste, smooth paste, smooth paste, smooth paste, smooth paste, smooth paste, smooth paste, smooth paste, smooth paste, smooth paste, ...

OSCILLATION!!!

8. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    yeah that was my favourite :D