Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"Wash" the fingerboard

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Jère, Jul 29, 2001.

1. Hi everybody,

Anybody has an opinion on how I can "wash" my maple fingerboard ? It looked superb at the beginning but i'ts becoming darker and darker.

In fact it's not the wood becoming darker due to the light and so on, it's really dirty (the place juste behind the strings, where the fingers don't touch, is not dirty...).

I'm washing my hands everytime before I touch my bass, an I don't use this fast fret which is not quite good for those maple fingerboards.

So what should I use to get the original "color" back ? I've not tried anything, since I didn't want to harm the wood, but somebody told me that "lemon oil" thing could do the job without harming the material.

Any opinions or suggestions about this ?

Thanx, Jere

PS : a good advice - always buy a rosewood fingerboard !!!

2. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    Hey, my advise, go to your local guitar store and ask for fretboard oil... I use furniture polish on the back of my neck, but the fret oil works wonders... i just put it on a cloth, and wipe down the board... you have to have the strings off ofcourse... and make sure all of the excess oil is wiped off with a clean cloth before you restring, and you should be good to go.