Washburn AB-20 Fretless with ebony small radius DB fingerboard, And DB fittings

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by aesopslyre, Oct 26, 2011.

1. aesopslyre

aesopslyre

Oct 27, 2007
    NY,NY
    Hi. This instrument marks my second foray into attempting to achieve a big DB sound from a smaller instrument. It has been custom outfitted with an ebony DB fingerboard, with a E-string bevel. The nut is ebony. The tailpiece is ebony. The bridge is maple. It has been fitted with 1/4 size DB strings. However, I have the original brass bridge designed to accommodate EB strings. Not sure if I have the original nut, but I will take a look for interested buyers. It is made to be played pizz, as there are no cutaways to permit bowing.

The instrument has signs of wear in areas. The jackplate has been repaired with fiberglass, as it once was cracked in the vicinity of the jack. There is some varnish wear on the headstock, and along the neck, where the varnish has been purposely removed to allow for a more DB-type feel.

The tone , of course, is about as close as one could ever get on an ABG to that of the DB. It is very reminiscent of the Takamine B-10, which I own. Believe it or not, I myself was fooled when I was surreptitiously taped during a performance of Afro-Cuban style music. When the CD was played back, I asked the vocalist about the track, as I did not think he had DB on it. He told me it was me, and it had just been taped. I'm just sayin'.....

I am the original owner, and purchased it new In 2000, or so. I believe it was manufactured in the 90's. Serial # is S6076897.
    All customization work was performed by Paul Biase of Biase & Fantoni in NYC, A well-known luthier .

I think I achieved my goal with this instrument, however since I also own a Takamine b-10 and a Chennell Arco, This has become superfluous.

The work to customize this instrument cost in excess of $600.000, and the original list price was over $1,000.00.

I am asking $525, shipped insured anywhere in the CONUS.

Bass will ship with OHSC

WashburnAb20001.jpg

WashburnAb20002.jpg

washburnab20009.jpg

WashburnAb20005.jpg

WashburnAb20006.jpg

WashburnAb20007.jpg

washburnab20010.jpg

I will put this up on Ebay in a few days if no interest here, as a vaguely similar instrument is being sold there at a greater pricepoint now.
    Paypal preferered. You can check out my trans action recorrd on ebay ; I am Aeesoplyre. (not mispelled)

2. aesopslyre

aesopslyre

Oct 27, 2007
    NY,NY
    I have ordered a truss rod cover and replacement screws for preamp and jackplate. will post pics after installation

3. ouchcharlay

ouchcharlay

Jul 20, 2011
    the custom fretboard doesnt have fret markers does it?

4. aesopslyre

aesopslyre

Oct 27, 2007
    NY,NY
    No, there are no markers, but a tuner and some white nail polish judiciously applied works wonders.

5. aesopslyre

aesopslyre

Oct 27, 2007
    NY,NY
    I have installed the truss rod cover plate and replaced all screws, will post pics later.

6. aesopslyre

aesopslyre

Oct 27, 2007
    NY,NY
    bump

7. aesopslyre

aesopslyre

Oct 27, 2007
    NY,NY
    The instrument is now on ebay

8. aesopslyre

aesopslyre

Oct 27, 2007
    NY,NY
    Sold on Ebay, $550.00

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021