1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Washburn AB-20 needs jack input replaced

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ELS011, Feb 15, 2018.

1. ELS011

ELS011

Jan 8, 2018
    Petaluma, Ca
    I own a Washburn AB-20 acoustic bass (AB-acoustic bass-cleaver, huh?) that needs to have the input jack replaced. This is not the standard type jack we all have in our basses and guitars. It makes a bad static noise when the cable is moved. I have not been able to find a replacement jack and the guy who works on my instruments could not help. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Anyone have any ideas? This bass also has an XLR input. Could the square input jack be replaced with a standard type?

I tried to attach images of the bass and the jack but was not able to figure out how to attach the images of the bass and the jack.
    [​IMG]

2. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    It's likely you just have a sealed output jack like the kind often used in amps and pedals. Typically active basses have a stereo jack so that when the extra terminal (ring terminal) makes contact with an instrument cord the preamp battery gets connected and when you unplug the cord, the battery gets disconnected so it doesn't drain when not in use.

1/4 in. Stereo Enclosed Switchcraft #112BX
    Stereo_Jack__45210.1421081754.1280.1280.jpg

3. ELS011

ELS011

Jan 8, 2018
    Petaluma, Ca
    I was able to post images of the input jack on my bass, along with an image of the headstock and the bass itself. This input jack on my bass appears different from the image you posted. P1011019.JPG P1011021.JPG P1011017.JPG P1011018.JPG P1011020.JPG

4. ELS011

ELS011

Jan 8, 2018
    Petaluma, Ca
    Does anyone know if this kind of input jack for a Washburn Acoustic Bass AB-20 can be purchased either as an OEM part or aftermarket?
    5318364-259cb05115bf8f7d4ec84fc39f9d9979.jpg 5318367-cfe40c6c36b785dfea420b500a290854.jpg 5318371-8a4178f894e714cf42af81de934e36e0.jpg 5318374-9a332394e1772a7deafafc4f5d8f0d10.jpg 5318383-aee86e911c90f0dc0d6739334ae624e7.jpg

5. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    Looks like your jack has a bunch of unused contacts. That's good news as it means there's nothing special going on from a wiring standpoint and any TRS jack will work as long as you can mount it securely without breaking the plastic mounting plate. Notice the original has a plastic tab that fits in a plastic slot on the mounting plate to keep the jack from rotating. You may need to file the slot off the mounting plate in order for a standard TRS jack to fit.

6. ELS011

ELS011

Jan 8, 2018
    Petaluma, Ca
    Thank you very much for that information. I am not real tech savvy (I have a pencil!) but I will take this information to the guy who works on my guitars and hopefully get to use this bass again.

7. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

This is the exact OUTPUT jack you need.

OUTPUT

lz4005 likes this.
  8. ELS011

ELS011

Jan 8, 2018
    Petaluma, Ca
    Output. Got it! Thanks for your help.

9. ex-tension

ex-tension

Jun 11, 2009
    Looks like it's a Kobiconn jack
    https://www.mouser.com/ds/2/209/KC-301403-1171884.pdf

White wire is connected on contact#4 which is the ring terminal.
    Green wire is connected on contact#8 which is the tip terminal.
    The bare wire is connected on the sleeve.

As others noted you can use any TRS type jack with the same functionality.
    But if you want to have the same style jack, here are some links:
    www.mouser.com (search: 161-610D3-E)
    Kobiconn 161-610D3-E
    Mode 1/4" Chassis Jack w/ 2 SPDT Switches - MRO Electronic Supply Ltd.

Some other pleces sell it under Fender brand with higher prices:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/fender-power-telecaster-jack
    Fender 0056055000 Jack Output Fishman Switch | eBay
    Fender Musical Instruments - 1/4 Inch Guitar Output Jack with Battery Switching Pin and Mounting Hardware

10. ELS011

ELS011

Jan 8, 2018
    Petaluma, Ca
    My thanks to everyone for their helpful information. With this information, I should be able to get my bass back up and running. I like this bass. With the black nylon strings, it really pairs well with acoustic guitars, mandolins, banjos, etc.

11. ProgressiveDoom

ProgressiveDoom Guest

Mar 31, 2017
    I have the same bass and I am wondering how to replace the cable jack since there is no soundhole to fit a hand through. Once the nut falls of the final thread the jack will fall inside the body and than its just a shytt show. Anyone replaced one in an AB20 ?.

12. Timpanogos Slim

Timpanogos Slim

May 26, 2017
    You probably don't need to replace it.

It probably just needs to be cleaned.

Deoxit D100 or D100L is what i recommend:

https://www.amazon.com/CAIG-Laboratories-D100L-2DB-Electric-Cleaner/dp/B0002BBVN2/
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/CAIG/De...-Connection-Cleaner-Enhancer-and-Lubricant.gc

Just stick the brush in the jack, apply liberally, plug and unplug several times, rotate connector, etc. Doesn't need to be cleaned off.

It also comes in sprays, pens, droppers, etc. If you get the spray i recommend putting it on a swab of some sort to apply it rather than spraying into your bass obviously.

I've had it convert a vintage 1/4" plug from one that barely passed signal to one that works flawlessly. Vintage audiophile enthusiasts swear by it.

It's also good for switches. I don't recommend to use it on tone or volume controls or other pots / sliders / etc. It usually works just fine and sometimes completely destroys them. CAIG makes a FaderLube product for those.

ProgressiveDoom likes this.
  13. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Electricians call it fishing. Stick a length of stiff wire in the hole you want to end up at, snag it in the control (preamp/pot, etc) access hole, pull the wire out the access so you can work with it, attach the object to the wire in some manner you can easily detach and pull it back through.

ProgressiveDoom likes this.
  14. ProgressiveDoom

ProgressiveDoom Guest

Mar 31, 2017
    Sounds logical. I just hope that when I put the new jack in and tighten the nut on the outside that the jack doesnt spin on the inside as well since I wont have anything to keep it firmly secured inside, maybe a lock washer would help. Thanks.:thumbsup:

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2021