1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Washburn ab 20

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Joenok, Mar 29, 2006.

1. Joenok

Joenok

Jul 1, 2005
    Arctic Norway
    Hey, just found a Washburn ab20 for sale, and i need an acoustic.
    Anyone got anything to say about this bass?

I´m not sure yet if it does have the piezo pickup in the bridge, but i´m hoping to find out real soon.
    This is a 1999 model in natural/blonde finish. It has one jack and one xlr output, and an Equis preamp.

How is the tone? Is it "CLANKY" like many other acoustics i´ve tried?
    Guess that has a lot to do with strings, so what strings would you recommend for a good woody natural sound? Flats? Thomestik?

Im thankful for any input on this subject!

it looks pretty good. :bassist: here´s a photo too...:

Attached Files:

• -1.jpeg
      File size:
      16.5 KB
      Views:
  2. OnlyMe

OnlyMe

Feb 16, 2006
    Kontich / Belgium
    Don't know about the AB20, but I got myself an AB45 about two weeks ago. I'm basically very happy with it. Plays very sweetly and slick.

It demanded a bit of an improvement in my technique though... This is my first accousitc and as it is a 5 string, I found out that I really need to keep the B-string quiet. The slightest vibration gets picked up and sounds through. But I guess since the AB20 is a 4-string, this won't be a big problem.

Also the muscles in my shoulder needed to re-adjust to the big body :p

As for tone and volume... Volume is no prob at all, it's got it to spare. The tone was indeed a bit more bright, clanky and metally then I was looking for. But I think a lot of that is indeed explained by the roundwounds that were on it on delivery. I'm replacing them with tapewounds as I'm looking for a real warm, kinda dull sound. I ordered a standard 5-string rotosound set (RS885) but I found out that they were too thick and didn't fit the holes in the bridge. So now I've ordered a low gauge GHS. I think I'll get them somewhere next week...

If you want pic's, it acutally looks a lot like the AB20 except for the equis-preamp...

ab45_1.

3. Joenok

Joenok

Jul 1, 2005
    Arctic Norway
    Thanks man!
    great looking acoustic!

I can imagine that using flats would make the tame the clankyness in the sound. But maybe I should worry about that when the bass is mine.

4. I have owned an AB 20 since the early 80's when it first came out.
    I have switched the strings to Labella Deep Talkin Flats as I do on all of my basses.
    The instrument is a wondrous, sweet and diverse piece of equipment.
    The neck is smooth and quick. The action nice and low. The eq is accurate and useful, although I normally keep it flat while playing through my 1967 Ampeg B15 Portaflex.
    Fit and finish is top notch, the paint almost 3D.
    It is prone to feedback, if you dont know where to stand realative to your amp.
    The XLR out is awesome when I plug in directly to my Analogue-Digital converter and record on my digital recording studio.
    If you haven't already bought it...DO !

5. mr sprocket

mr sprocket

Jul 31, 2006
    Dallas
    Great bass onlyme!

I have had an AB20 since they came out. I have the year before the XLR jack was added. I have nylon tapewounds on the bass and it sounds great. You can get some feedback depending on how you run it. Overall a great bass.

6. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    +1 on nylon tapewounds.

I had a fretless one, late 80's. At that time there weren't many ABG's to choose from. Overall a good solid instrument. It isn't really loud enough if you're playing with others unless you are plugged in. The pre is good, and the XLR is a bonus.