Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Washburn AB45 Any info please?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NOLABASS, Jan 25, 2003.

1. NOLABASS

NOLABASS

Oct 16, 2002
    New Orleans
    Hey folks, I own a Washburn AB45. I am told it is a custom shop bass, it was originally $2300 new, and it is a favorite for studio players to "fake" a double bass sound. The list of studio bass players that keep it in their coffin is impressive. Mike Brignardello, Hutch Hutchnson, Larry Paxton Leland Sklar, Neil Stubenhaus, Glenn Worf, Bob Wray. I became curious about this Washburn bass all these players had. Why Washburn? I happened on one this year and bought it. Very cool bass I think. Records huge. So, you guys have such a large base of knowledge, I thought I would ask, does anybody have ant interesting info they can give me?. Thanks...NOLABASS

2. Don't know about the AB45 but the AB30 had awsome tone. I was looking to pick one up a year or two ago but things just never went my way. I know that Washburn has kind of a bad rep on this board, but I can vouch for the AB30 (and more than likely the AAB45)... very nice basses.

3. NOLABASS

NOLABASS

Oct 16, 2002
    New Orleans
    Thanks for the response jon. I wouldn't be surprised to here this board has a bad opinion of Washburn basses as a whole, however this is a somewhat rare bass. Arch top and back, flame maple top, back, and sides. A multi-lamenate neck of at least 50-60 ply. The thing just won't go out of tune. All the board would have to do is check the who's who of studio bass players to see this is not the cookie cutter Washburn bass. If memory serves, Bunny Bass has one just like it in their bass gallery.
    Matter o' fact, check it out. The only difference is mine is five string.
    http://bunnybass.com/bass/washburnAB40.shtml

4. Yep, that's alot like the AB30 I tried... only purdier. :D Nicer choice of woods, binding etc. I must say, that is one beautiful bass. I hope it serves you well for many years to come.

5. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I have an AB20. It plays great, sounds pretty good. Not loud enough to play acoustically. I use it to play the occaisional "unplugged" gig, for the look only as actually I am "plugged". I've never seen another with the same finish that mine has.

6. NOLABASS

NOLABASS

Oct 16, 2002
    New Orleans
    Thanks for the replys folks. I was kinda hoping to get more feedback along the lines of info about Washburns custom shop, or tidbits about this particular bass in the series. (AB40 & 45s) These basses are degrees above the quality of the 20s and 30s. 7 piece neck, binding, bla bla. There just doesn't seem to be much info on them. If I do a search for the other AB20 or AB30 basses, info abounds.

7. JR Bass 62

JR Bass 62

May 7, 2007
    North FL.
    I bought my ab 45 in a pawn shop for $400, I love it! Like brand new had all hang tags keys for case and tools. Put tape wounds on it. Records great!