1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Washburn AB90i Controls?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RJMiller, Aug 15, 2007.

1. I have a Washburn hollowbody with two humbucking pickups and a piezo bridge pickup. No manual available and have a question about the controls.

Have I got the controls figured out correctly?:
    The large 3 position toggle switch toward the top cut out switches between the two pickups - neck/both/bridge. The top four knobs control the volume and tone of the humbucking pickups.

There is a smaller 3 position toggle switch below the tail piece. Given the change in volume when this is switched, I am assuming it functions to control the piezo - humbuckers and piezo/humbuckers only/piezo only. There is an increase in volume in the bottom position as compared to the center position. Problem is in the up position - which I assume is piezo only - there is no sound at all. I assume that the knob below the small toggle is to control piezo volume, but turning the knob has no effect that I can hear in any postion of the small toggle.

So, I guess I have two questions - have I figured the controls out correctly and is the piezo when soloed not working? :help:

Sorry for the convoluted post. Any AB90i owners out there?

Thanks for any replies.

RJM

2. The large toggle is in the area of whatever you call the upper part of the guitar body - the single cut area?

RJM :bag:

3. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Pulled this out of one of Hambone's old posts:

The two humbuckers have volume and tone controls.

The piezo has tone only. The small switch on the bottom switches active/passive/off.

The selector on the top does HB/piezo/blend for the 3 pickups.

4. Guess I was way off.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. The Washburn I have used to be Hambone's.

He is busy settling into a different house and didn't reply to a PM I sent - probably hasn't logged into TalkBass since the move.

Great guy to deal with.

RJM

5. Chaosity

Chaosity

Feb 26, 2008
    I recently purchased an AB-90i myself and it worked exactly like yours did until I put in a new battery.!! The battery it came with was totally dead. Now the toggle on the upper bout works like any other guitar with two pickups. Up gives neck pickup,mddle is both HBs and down is bridge HB. The small switch near the tailpiece works so that up is piezo only,mid is blend of piezo and whatever HBs are selected by the upper bout switch and down is piezo off. The knob closes to the Piezo switch is the volume for the pickup. Note that the volume knob for any pickups that are corrently active must not be set completely off or you get no sound at all. Hope this helps anyone out there getting one of these basses. Seems a little complicated at first but it sure does give you a lot of options for the sound.
    Keep on thumpin'
    GBP (Chaosity)

6. Chaosity

Chaosity

Feb 26, 2008
    I recently purchased an AB-90i myself and it worked exactly like yours did until I put in a new battery.!! The battery it came with was totally dead. Now the toggle on the upper bout works like any other guitar with two pickups. Up gives neck pickup,mddle is both HBs and down is bridge HB. The small switch near the tailpiece works so that up is piezo only,mid is a blend of the piezo and whatever HBs are selected by the upper bout switch, and down is piezo off. The knob closest to the piezo switch is the volume for the pickup. Note that the volume knob for any pickups that are corrently active must not be turned completely off or you get no sound at all. Hope this helps anyone out there getting one of these basses. Seems a little complicated at first but it sure does give you a lot of options for the sound.
    Keep on thumpin'
    GBP (Chaosity)