Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Washburn Axxess sx-6, anyone know these?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by klocwerk, Dec 14, 2005.

1. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    Specifically an Axxess XS-6, but i'll take any info/opinions on any of the Axxess series, as they all seem to be similar from the info I've got.

Apparently built for only one year (1990), and retailed at $600-$650.
    Washburn's site provided that info, but nothing else.
    Literally, nothing else.

I just buy-it-now'ed one on e-bay for well under $100 shipped, planning to rip the neck off for a project frankenbass I'm working on (long story), and then discovered that it retailed for $600+ back in the day. Now I'm wondering if maybe I found a little known gem of a US made bass... albeit with a custom paint job that I'm slightly scared of.
    Check out that paint job! (previous listing of same bass.)
    :D
    (I hope it's easily gotten rid of if this bass turns out to be a keeper...)

Anyone know a thing about these?

2. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    Bass arrived today.
    Was in a 4.5'x18"x18" box, in a crappy nylon gig-bag, basically bouncing around freely in the oversized box. The included stand was disassembled and IN THE GIG-BAG with the bass. :scowl:
    The nut had fallen out and was broken, and one of the knobs seems to have snapped off in travel. (The pot's ok, the knob interior was plastic and shattered when it got stressed.) Guess who DIDN'T get a positive fleabay feedback?

Luckily the neck is intact, which is what I bought it for anyway, and the bass was way cheaper than any replacement neck (except an SX) that I've ever seen.
    I'm going to take it home, glue this nut back together, and toss some fresh strings on. Gotta see if it's playable before I disassemble it. And that 'paintjob' is actually 2 stickers that appear to have been clearcoated over. :rollno: If it's worth keeping, i'll have a paint stripping/repainting job ahead of me.

I'll make one more post here with photos, and a review of how it sounds/plays before I probably disassemble it.

(Oh, and the seller was obviously a smoker. Gig-bag REEKS! Man I hate that...)

3. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    yeah, when I got my Kubicki, it had been kept in it's box which sat around at smokey gigs...I threw the case away (it reeked) and febreezed my other case and out the bass in...the smell was out of the bass with in 2 days!

4. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    Ok, here's photos.

This bass plays VERY well for a $75 purchase. If it weren't so... 80's metal lookin' with ugly glossed-over stickers I might actually leave it as is.

= Superglued the nut back together.
    = Replaced flakey input jack (was a stereo jack, weird. no way to test it for stereo output though.)

Thoughts:
    - The neck is nice and fast, although a little glossy for my taste. A little sanding/steel-wool should take care of that. Width is comprable to my MiM jazz, perhaps slightly narrower. (didn't measure.)
    - Frets are even and feel pretty good.
    - It balances well, and isn't very heavy at all.
    - The electronics seem to be active pre-amp. One p'up blend knob, one volume knob, and the other two are tone of some sort. One's definitely treble, so I'm assuming the other's bass although it acts more like a generic tone knob. All the knobs have a click at the center of their range except the volume. Pots were a little scratchy at first, but after twisting them furiously for a minute or so apiece they quieted down to nearly silent.
    - P'ups sound great. The J isn't very jazzy when soloed, but adds a nice sound when used in conjunction with the P. The J's output is VERY much less than the P, and you really need to crank up the volume when you roll the blend towards the J side. The J also hums quite a bit (definitely singlecoil), where the P is dead quiet. I'd be interested to hear the sound of a quality, hum-free J set in the bridge position. Could be a very nice jazz sound.
    - Overall sound/tone is very good, even with the crappy set of (brand-new) Rogue strings that came with it. I'd like to grab a set of better strings and have it really open up, but won't have time to try 'till after xmas.

Overall, I'm not at all surprised that this bass went for $600 new. Sure, it's a little dated at this point, and the styling is, well, hair-metal. But sound-wise this is a very solid bass that you can get nice tone out of. I'd be quite happy to pay $200-300, for this bass in good used condition, and quite possibly more with a good set of strings and a replaced J p'up.

Attached Files:

5. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    more pics

Advice on how to remove glossed over stickers greatly appreciated. You can see where I cut into an air-bubble on the symbol sticker. I was hoping it might peel the rest off, but no such luck. flaked off like paint. It's black underneath the sticker, so I'm assuming that it was a later amature addition to the bass, and they painted over the whole bass when they put it on.

Attached Files:

6. avila1

avila1

May 10, 2007
  7. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    heh, way to dig up an ancient thread...
    Since it just got bumped anyway, here's what ended up happening with that neck:
    [​IMG]

I think it's in a better place now. :D

8. I have a Washburn Axxess fretless. It's not mine, but it's been on semi-permanent loan to me from a friend for years now :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looks kinda cool in the right light, but the top wood looks fake to me (painted or something), and it doesn't sound like anything special. I almost never play it...:ninja:

9. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    If I had that Stambaugh, I wouldn't either.
    :D

10. Yeah...well...I wasn't playing it long before I ever got the Stambaugh :p

Before I even got my Ken Lawrence for that matter. Dang, I've had this Washburn way too long :eek:

11. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    I've got another $75 right here... :D

12. Believe me, if it were my bass I would have sold it long ago. Basically, a friend went out on tour for a long time and left a few of his basses with me, as opposed to leaving them with the rest of his stuff in a hot, stuffy storage container somewhere. Then after the tour he decided to move, and only took one of his basses back (A Rickenbacker 4001). So now I'm stuck with this Washburn and a Takamine acoustic that has a broken tuning key :p