Washburn B70 Wiring Question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by thebassvolta, Jul 16, 2018.

1. thebassvolta

thebassvolta

Dec 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Hey guys! I'm swapping out the electronics on this bass. The old preamp was shotty, so my customer decided to install an <a href="EMG Pickups / BQC Control / Bass EQ Active / For Bass / Accessories / Electric Guitar Pickups, Bass Guitar Pickups, Acoustic Guitar Pickups">EMG BQC system</a>.

I can't seem to find any info on the wiring for this bass and am having a phasing issue with the bridge pickup. The neck pickup is working great.

The pickups were on a 5-way rotary switch. The pickup colors are black, brown, red and orange with a shielding. Both pickups had the red and orange connected together. The brown and black wires were on different tiers of the 5 way. When I soldered the brown wire with the shield and the black to hot for the neck pickup on the new preamp, it worked!

The bridge pickup however, is out of phase and has a bit of a grounding buzz. I tried reversing the black and brown wires - no difference. I've tried wiring the bridge pickup to a jack directly with this wiring and I can get it to work in series, but it also seems like it has some sort of a grounding buzz. Could it be the pickups are reverse wound for the 5-way rotary switch?

Is there anything I'm missing? Could it just be a faulty pickup? Maybe it needs to be re-wound with fresh coil wiring? Any help, schematics, insights are appreciated!

IMG_20180715_110653.jpg IMG_20180715_112024.jpg IMG_20180715_112813.jpg IMG_20180715_112817.jpg

2. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021