1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Washburn Bass Info

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MFreePbass, Apr 15, 2014.

1. MFreePbass

MFreePbass

Mar 2, 2014
    Brunswick,Oh
    I have a Washburn SX-4 and am trying to find some info and pick up some opinions. Actually I picked it up in trade for some HVAC work and though I think it is very cool I am a Fender guy for sure.

Does anyone know what these sold for new? I believe it is a "91" but am not totaly sure. It really doesn't seam like junk but has anyone had one of these and really liked it. Also, it has that single coil hum like a Strat even thru the P bass pick up. Are these known for that. I also have the original hard case. This isn't a great pic but it really is in great shape.

Thanks for any help.
    [​IMG]

2. SP_EB4L

SP_EB4L Supporting Member

Good evening MFreePbass,

It's not a bad thing that you try something different than a Fender.:smug: Personnaly I own and play an XS-5 that got active JJ pick-ups but got the same electronics and I also own a Force ABT B-15 that got the same Pick-ups and electronics than your XS-4 (same neck but different body as it's the previous model) and I could say that those bass are very very nice. You'll probably found the neck a bit thinner if you already play a P-bass but it's more similar than the Jazz bass. If you put a set of DR Silver Stars strings you'll be in Valhalla if you are a Classic Rock player. If you are more a slapper you'll be better with D'Addario EXL170BT. The suggested retail price of that bass in 1989-90 was 500$ and it was probably less for the street price, they were made in Korea with really good quality of finishing. I don't have any hum in my P pick-up with my B-15 but I have if I play the J solo on my B-15 and on my XS-5 but only if I put the treble at max.

Hope I answer your questions,

regards

3. SP_EB4L

SP_EB4L Supporting Member

Don't forget to come on the Washburn Club thread, there is a lot of other Tbers there that got AXXESS series bass like yours and they probably got different experiences than mine.