Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Washburn Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PilbaraBass, Jan 11, 2005.

1. Who has them? Do you like it?
    Reviews on Washburns, please. I had a look at their prices, and they are very affordable. Are they a good bargain?

BTW...I'm not interested in the ABGs, just the electrics.

2. I only have experience with their USA made instruments (which can be had off eBay for very cheap, sometimes down in the 400$ range), but they are fantastic instruments. Well made and even better when you factor in the price that they can be had at.

3. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I've had an XB-600 for about seven years. Good instrument although with very narrow string spacing (about 15mm); works nicely since I had the neck defretted!

Wulf

4. kickinbass

kickinbass

Nov 19, 2004
    ontario canada
    My first a XB120 . I love it. I have a fender Pbass and it sounds just as good to me. I always go back to the washburn. It has never let me down and sounds just as good today as when i got it over 2 years ago.

5. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    My first "decent" bass was a XB-200...........what a piece of crap........awful sound, and the neck was kinda sticky. The Ibanez SR400 I bought after selling the Washburn was a big step in quality and sound.

Just my experience. In fact, every Washburn instrument (g*****s and Basses) I´ve tried in all these years have been very low quality.

6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I don't own one but I played one at a music store. An XB925 I think. It was definitely a high quality bass in looks, playability and in build. I remember it playing really nice. Terrific action BUT... the string spacing killed it for me. If it had a wider neck, I most certainly would have bought it. Are you listening Washburn?? They make nice instruments but if they offered wider necks I think they'd sell more basses! Just my 2 cents.

7. Mr. Oysterhead

Mr. Oysterhead

Apr 15, 2004
    My number one bass right now is a XB-500 and I love it. Though the string spacing does take some time to get used to.

8. I have the XB-102 its a good bass. I strung it tenor and For Sinister Minister performanceat myschool and worked greeat and had thegood slap tone ineeded

9. I have mb-40, which plays really nice, I still haven't get it set up yet, but the action isn't too high. But the string space is way too wide, I am one of those fender guy. Tone wise, it's pretty good, with the right rig, it sound awesome. Finish is not the best, could be better. What else....oh the neck is kind of thick....that's about it.

10. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I have had a couple of these and I have mixed feelings about them. For me, there are much better basses for the money. The RB-2004's were a nice bass, however like many of the imported Washburns, the electronics need work. I think the necks are a little thick for me. When you get one that works, it should stay that way for a very long time. I have a 1987 Washburn Acoustic guitar that I would not trade for the world. If you can find a Japanese Washburn those are quality. The rest is just a play and find something you like.

11. I have a 2000 Washburn D10-M Acoustic Guitar that I picked up in the UK for 99 pounds and I LOVE it. I saw that they had some nice lookin' basses and was interested in knowing more about them. Now that I do, I'll think I'll pass...I play mostly fingerstyle and sometimes slap and I HATE narrow string spacing.

It's a shame, their prices are very attractive.

12. Gomex

Gomex

Jan 7, 2005
    Australia
    I've got an XB-600, it was okay, then I changed the pickups to a set of EMG DCs and it sounds amazing, I agree the spacing is a bit of an adjustment but i think it's better, it allows faster playing and you can finger chords that use 4 or 5 strings much easier, slap is a little tougher but you just have to get in there, I think finger style is easier and faster with narrow spacing I don't ever want to go back to wide spacing again!