Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Washburn electrics problem

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Mohawk Freak, Apr 12, 2002.

1. Mohawk Freak

Mohawk Freak

Mar 8, 2002
    London
    I bought a Washburn XB600 (6 string) recently that I am happy with in almost all respects. However It's developed an annoying problem. When it's plugged in the volume is quieter and wavers and the notes distort. This goes on untill I strum hard, after which it's fine untill I plug it in again. The problem goes away for a couple of weeks when you change the battery but then starts up again. It has the standard washburn soapbar pickups, 961 & 963. I noticed a same problem on the 4 string version (xb400) in the local shop some time ago but have not been able to reproduce it since.

Any ideas anyone? If it's eating batteries it shouln't be doing it THAT quickly!!!

I did check to see if any past threads covered this but couldn't find any.

Help me my TB bro's! (ans sis's!) :D

2. Damian Coccio

Damian Coccio Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2002
    USA
    Endorsing Artist: Fodera Guitars
    Mohawk Freak,
    It sounds like an intermittent connection to me. When you strum hard it could be the vibration that gets the connection back. Next time it happens try lightly tapping the bass before strumming hard. If that fixes it its most likely a bad connection in the pots or the jack, but could be anywhere in the electronics. I had a similar problem on one of my basses recently.

Sometimes with bad connections, especially on potentiometers and connectors, you have to get the signal level up to a threshold level to overcome oxidation. Once the oxidation is sort of broken over by the signal potential the connection problem will go away for awhile.

The bottom line is that you will most likely have to replace a pot, jack or have the electronics serviced/replaced.

Good Luck With it!

3. Hey man,

I've got the same bass (XB600) and I had the same thing go wrong. I ended up getting to volume pot replaced. It works fine now. I would recomend taking it to your local repair shop, and get them to fix it up for ya', you'll be WAY more happy with it when that's fixed. I know I am.

Good Luck,
    Peace.

Zac

4. Mohawk Freak

Mohawk Freak

Mar 8, 2002
    London
    Thanks very much both of you. It doesn't fix the problem if I bang it so it possibly needs the volume pot replacing. I'll see to it! I love this baby! (just wish it wasn't so damn heavy though! :D

5. Mohawk Freak

Mohawk Freak

Mar 8, 2002
    London
    I've heard this said before! From my experience I'd tend to agree!

I was considering replacing the pickups with bartolinis at some point in the future. Anyone got any experience of this?

6. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I can get an XB600 for $150.00 (american) you guys have played or owned one is that a good price for that? Do you like it?

7. mjl422

mjl422

Jul 3, 2002
    I have a XB600 too. I replaced the pickups with EMGs. I replaced the bridge with Hipshot and the tuners with Gotoh tuners. The XB series were constructed well but, had crappy electronics and hardware. I would definately recommend changing the pickups and preamp. You'll have a very good bass once you do that.

8. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Yes! I was thinking the exact same upgrade. I have a Spector rebop5 right now w/ EMG HZ's. I got to thinking why don't I upgrade my Spector with the EMG DC 40's , take the HZ's put em in the Washburn, upgrade the bridge and get some gotoh tuners and wammo! The neck is very easy to play for a 6er, bass looks nice. How does it sound with the EMG's? Did you go 9 or 18V pre amp?

9. mjl422

mjl422

Jul 3, 2002
    I did 18V. It really does make a difference. I love the sound of it now most people can't believe it's a Washburn. I bought the BQC system which has a 3-band eq. I like deep, thick, bass tones and have no problem dialing them in. I can also get good pristine highs when I want to. The mid knobs allow you to dial in the frequnecy that you want then boost or cut that frequency. It's a very versatile system.

10. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Thanks! That's exactly what I needed!!!