Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Washburn Neck-thru Basses - Any Good?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rogerbmiller, Jan 12, 2005.

1. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    So I have been researching Washburn Basses and from what I can tell, they used to be Matsumoku basses and are still associated with the old Matsumoku importer in the US (St. Louis Music). From what I can tell about these basses, of all the ex-Matsumoku brands (Aria, Vantage, Westone), the Washburns have mutated the least from the original designs. They still have the neckoriginal -thru construciton, PU configurations, headstocks etc.

I can find very little on Washburns in terms of reviews on the Aria-like basses they stil produce. Was wondering if anyone here on TB can vouch. I am considering one of their high-end neck thru's in fretless if available.

Thanks.

2. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    How could no one respond to this? I thought TB-er were up on their sleeper basses???

3. I put out a thread a couple of weeks ago inquiring into the quality and playability of Washburns.

The general response was Quality was good. Sound was good. Most owners were satisfied. Biggest complaint was that strings were pretty close together (around 15mm was what most were saying)

4. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Are you inquiring about their new line of Taurus and Force basses or the older and much more quality Wing series basses. The Tarus and Force electronics are weak to say the least. I have a 5 string Taurus. I like the string spacing. It is very close, but I prefer that. The bass has a really good feel, but the raw neck is a little rough. I like the balance and the angle of the tuning pegs help with accesability. They have big fat tailpieces, which I like, but a cheap plastic nut. The neck needs a fair amount of oil for every string change to keep it in shape. Overall I like my Taurus, but not without some electronic changes and some basic care. :p

5. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I forgot to mention, I also have a 1978 Washburn Wing that rocks. This is the best series bass Washburn has ever inported (IMO). Dimarzio Pickups, a good straight neck, solid body, and attitude for a complete package. It did not hurt that they looked really good too. This is the best series bass you can find for a production made in Japan/Korea bass. If you can find one.
    They are pretty inexpensive too. :bassist: