Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Washburn-opinions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by patrickroberts, Dec 16, 2001.

1. patrickroberts

patrickroberts

Aug 21, 2000
    Wales, UK
    What are washburn basses like, cos' i mean they look awesome and they're really good value...whats the ton like and how does it perform overall?

2. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    i have never been overly impressed with them, or any washburn stuff period. I think its pretty cheaply made and sounds like it was. Ive heard alot of metal guys like their basses. Dunno if you like them thats all that matters, but i don't.

3. I admit up front I have a Washburn RB-2000 posted in the forsale forum, so I'm not unbiased here.

However, I have to say it baffles me that Washburns are so hard to sell (which of course is why they're such a great buy used). The American one I had (and sold for only $340) was a great USA bass, made of great wood, with a great neck, great fretwork, great electronics, great everything. . . but it just wasn't going anywhere!

The Korean one is actually better-sounding to me; the tone is more aggressive for slapping, the bridge is cooler, and the neck is more stable. Did I mention it's for sale?

:D

4. I have an XB 500, got it for $1,075 Australian bran new. they are worth $1,295. It couldn't ask for a better sounding bass. it's got I nice skinny neck, excelent tone controls, very big warm sound. String tension is tight, so there isn't much flopping and that anoying clickity clack sound. the only thing I can pick wrong with it is sometimes the signel is a little too strong and it distorts my amp, but just turn it down a little. they are a great buy for the money. I have found P-basses of the same value arn't anywhere near the quality.

5. I have had a couple of Washburn basses in the past. They are fine for the money. Their weak point, IMO, is the electronics...

6. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I've got a Washburn XS-5 Bass - a Korean made active 5 string (I think it is one of their lower end basses but not sure!) I've had it for about 8 or 9 years now and it cost me £300 then. I've used it extensively until I got my Spector!!! I really liked the bass, it felt good (a little neck heavy) it played food and it sounded pretty good too. Although not as good as the Spector and definitely didn't have the output of the Spector - but hey, I've still got it and haven't thought of selling it yet!!!

7. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I find their low-end basses to be... low end. If I had to choose between a Washburn and a Squier, I'm really not sure which way I'd go. That said, I've got a '90 XS-2, which is probably in about the same range as an XB-100. I've changed the electronics to a Seymour Duncan SPB-2 with new 250 k pots, and it sounds fine. Playability is good, too. I don't intend to ever get rid of it, because A. a friend let me use it when I was really short of cash, and later just let me keep it, and B. if I sell it, I wouldn't get much for it anyway. I've gigged it, and consider it to be a great backup.

I haven't tried the US made Washburns, but I'd like to.

8. SockMonkey

SockMonkey

Oct 26, 2001
    Irvine, CA
    umm...im pretty sure those guys use Warwick basses not washburn, but anyway ive played a few washburns at mars and they were decent basses for the money, i think washburn's more of a guitar company though

9. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    U.S. stuff is well-made and cheap. Overseas stuff is bad and cheap.

No name endorsees, which is why all the kids say they suck and you can't resell.

10. i would choose a washburn over a squier. it feels more substantial, squiers have always felt really cheap to me.

11. SockMonkey

SockMonkey

Oct 26, 2001
    Irvine, CA
    hmm...i stand corrected they are on the list of endorsees. but these two recent pics i have of traa from POD and the dude from puddle of mudd have them both playing warwick thumb basses. The Washburn site has the guy from puddle of mudd endorsing the acoustic bass, so he may play it for acoustic for performances also. This link
    http://www.warwickbass.com/users2.html shows traa as a Warwick endorser also

12. SockMonkey

SockMonkey

Oct 26, 2001
    Irvine, CA
    here's doug from puddle of mudd