Washburn RB 2002 vs MTD Kingston vs Conklin GT4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Dec 30, 2002.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Hey guys (and gals),

I can get any one of the 3 (Washburn RB 2002 vs MTD Kingston vs Conklin GT4) for about $400-$500 new. Which one is best OR what bass would you reccomend in this price range? Let's hear those opinions!
  2. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i personally am getting ready to get a fretless Kingston 4. I love the sound and for the price... not familiar with the others..good luck.

3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I like the Kingston's. Never played a GT4, but the GT7's are nice, so I am sure a GT4 would do just fine also. I have only played a couple of Washburn's, and I am not sure if one of them was the one you are questioning.

But the Kingston's are very nice basses for the money..........................................:)
  4. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

The GT4 (and GT5) is essentially the same as a GT6/7 with less strings EXCEPT for the pickups. It uses "Conklin active pickups" vs "Bartolini's" (used on the GT6's and GT7's). Not sure if the Conklin pups suck a lot more than the Barts....
  5. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    if i were you i'd buy the Washburn.

tried the three and liked it more than the others.
  6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Those 'Conklin active pickups' are Mighty Mites. They are the weak point of the GT4. It has a very nice neck, and the construction is very good as well.