Washburn RB 2502

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chris Fitzgerald, Aug 1, 2001.

1. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I've been in the market for a 6 string bass for a few weeks now, and have been checking out every 5 and 6 string in sight. Up until yesterday, I had played the following brands:

Ken Smith
    Modulus (sp?)
    Spector (again, sp?)
    Pedulla (again, sp? Please cut me some slack - I'm an old DB fart with a tricky memory)

The only one I was really crazy about up until yesterday was the Smith, although the Tobias and Yamaha were also kind of nice. But yesterday I walked into a store to inquire about some pickups (thinking I was going to have to buy a bass that PLAYED okay and throw in some Bartolini's to help the sound), and while waiting I happened to pick up this really UGLY Washburn 5 string. It played great, so I plugged it in. My first thought was "HOLY SH*T, this must be some AMPLIFIER FROM GOD", because the sound coming out just flat out SMOKED everything I had played so far except for the Smith, and it was on par with that.

Not believing my ears, I went out to my car and dragged out my SWR Baby Blue II amp (the one I'll be using for the gig that requires me to double on 6-string), plugged it in, and got an even BETTER sound. This bass had more output, a cleaner sound, and was as playable/more playable than anything else I'd played. It also had NO DEAD SPOTS - the tone was completely consistent across the entire neck.

What's up with that? I know I've been out of the BG gear loop for a while now, but up until yesterday, I'd never really played a Washburn instrument that I cared for at all, and then this thing blows me out of the water! Weird...anyway, they make a 6 string version (RB 2602) that can be had for under $800, and unless anybody has a compelling reason I shouldn't (aside from the blah/Ugly factor, of course), I'll probably get one soon. Has anyone played either of these monsters? If so, what was your reaction? Did I just happen to find a super special one, or what?
  2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    The last four string bass that I owned was a Washburn XB400. I felt the same way about it. Great sound. Very playable. I didn't think it was that ugly. I would give my eyeteeth for one of those XB925s with the bartolini pickups. They are very sweet. I'd say you are right on with your thoughts. Washburn makes some decent stuff at certain price points.

3. I saw some of those basses once..
    I put an eye on a neck-thru natural finish 5 string model that didn´t had that horrible pickguard on.. It was less than the equivalent of US $600, in mexican pesos.

I didn't had time to test it when i saw it, but the next time i had the chance to go look for it, they had sold them both
    :( (there were two of them) and they only had some 4 string modes, with pickguard :mad:

I liked the 5 string a lot. The head doesn´t look too much attractive for me, but the body looked nice and seemed prety confortable.. also the hardware looked very nice, (it was satin chrome)
  4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks for the replies. I think that the "pickguard" is actually a "slapguard" (at least, that's how they explained it to me), although I have no idea what kind of slapping technique would require such drastic measures.... At the store where I found it, the owner had them removed for esthetic reasons, and there was no damage at all to the finish.
  5. I'll agree on the output levels. My XB500 I had INCREDIBLE output. But the thing just wasn't desirable for me. I wasn't in love with the tone, but that thing could cut. I've played on an american one (Wierd wierd wierd finish) and it was okay, just didn't light my fire.

But I'd say go for it. Good workmanship, built well. Only thing that matters is how you feel:)
  6. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Despite their reputation as a whipping boy for quality, Washburns can be surprisingly good. I had an XB900 for a while. I got rid of it because the crazy "stonewash blue" finish wasn't me, and I didn't like the Duncan EQ. Fit, finish and playability, however, were terrific, particularly for the price I paid. The Bartolini-equipped ones are really nice.
  7. virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    I've got a deposit on an XB920 which is a 4 string with 2 Bartolini PUPs,gold hardware,ash body with Bird's Eye Maple cap and Pau Ferro fretboard. I can't wait to take it home at the end of the month.
  8. $616 new and delivered with hardshell case. I think the pickguard looks alright in the picture of the black one.

It is hideous on the natural finish one.

It was on the Washburn site as a 35" scale until I inquired about it...now it's 864mm (34") scale. I checked with a number of folks who've played it and it seems unianimous (among them) that the B string is nice and tight on this bass.

Looks like it has all the right features especially for this price (BTS, SD-designed pickups, they have to be better than EMG HZs or Ibanez mid-to-low end ones right?)--what the heck, I'm going to try one unseen and unplayed. I can let you know how it is in about a week...;)
  9. I've got a Washburn XB 600 6 string. It is amazing! Great action, great construction and playability. Has a fairly slim neck and narrow string spacing. Also has active pickups and a very tight B string.
  10. Second the comments on washburns playability, thin (back to front) neck and comfortable fit. I have an xb-500 that is now a backup to my Matt Pulcinella Level 5.

Got the xb500 in '95, natural finish, no crazy slapguard ) if only they made the rb's that way! my only gripe with the xb is the electronics - the bass control adds too much woof which turns to mud and the treble control is voiced at (IMHO) a unmusical frequency - it quickly gets harsh. also emits hiss.

Great to hear that they are addressing the electronics issue - am planning to gut and switch the xb's electronics.
  11. Washburn the the most un-reconigzed bass maker in the planet. Peavey use to be until their latest releases, but the new stuff seems to have solved that. I have had an XB400,500, 900, and I am considering a new 4 string like the 6 you are looking at. The brass insert in the headstock is an intresting idea and over all washburn has more powerfull output then most everything shy of spector. Thats not to say the tone is for everyone. And I wouldn't bring a washburn for a "light jazz" gig (well maybe one of the ones with the Bart pickups)

I hope you enjoy
  12. Hi, you didn´t find a special one... they are ear blowers... it happened the same thing to me... but I bought a Spector PRO Q 5 insted, but I always wanted this bass cuz is really good.. i friend bought it 2 years ago, and know i bought a Warwick Bass Rock.. so he´s going to sell the Washburn RB 2502 5 to me in $300.00. well it´s a little old but i just love the sound jajaja i love life.. it´s just great :hyper:

See you all....
  13. KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    I put together a Washburn XB400 from parts off of ebay. I could not find Washburn pickups so I put in a Peavey Cirrus soapbar in the neck position and a Bart quadcoil in the bridge position. I will be dropping on a Bart NTMB pre soon enough. I had to shim the neck to get it to properly fit in the neck cavity.