1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD Washburn SB40-EQ w/ HSC

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Serek_Basses, Jun 7, 2016.

1. Serek_Basses

Serek_Basses Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    Price:
    Strings:
    I have a Washburn SB40-EQ Bass made in Japan in the late 70s - early 80s. Great condition, except the electronics need a little cleaning up. Has the original DiMarzio patent pending P and J pickups with an active EQ (bass and treble boost). Sounds great!

Thru-neck construction with a beautiful rosewood fingerboard and tobacco burst finish. Very lightweight bass. Comfortable neck, easy to play.

If you are familiar with Paul Simon's Graceland album, this is the active and fretted version of the same bass Bakithi Kumalo plays all over that album.

Comes with original hardshell case in good condition.

PRICE DROP $400 + Shipping CONUS

IMG_20160606_174737. IMG_20160606_174742. IMG_20160606_174803. IMG_20160606_174815. IMG_20160606_174823. IMG_20160606_174834. IMG_20160606_174724.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
    Lukejt likes this.
  2. Gusto421

Gusto421

Feb 24, 2015
    Middleton NH
    what is the weight of the bass?

3. Serek_Basses

Mar 26, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    I don't have a scale unfortunately, but I have several basses I do know the weight of, so going off of those comparisons I'm going to estimate it's around 8.5-9.5 pounds. It is nice and light!

4. I had one of these back in 85 and had it made fretless. Played and sounded great...miss that bass!!!!
    Good luck with the sale...great addition to anyone's arsenal!

5. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    That is a 1982 SB-40EQ. They were made ONLY in 1982, following the 1981 SB-40. The only difference in between them really is the cavity cover on the 1981 SB-40 are brushed regular silver aluminum while the 1982 SB-40EQ has the black anodized cavity covers. I own two SB40's and one SB40EQ bass. They are, by far, my favorite basses of all time.

Btw---Bakithi Kumalo played a B40 bass on Graceland, not an SB-40. I did a piece here on TB some time ago sourcing that both from him and the pics. The first glaring evidence of that is his bass has 4 pots and 1 switch, which is a B-40. It also was his first bass, because in his African home town, he tells the story that he went into the store where it had been hanging for quite a while. Everyone was afraid to buy it with no frets. He bought it and learned to play bass on it!

EDIT to Mad Phingers: By any vague hope (kneeling and praying at the moment) do you have any original documents with this of ANY type?

Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
    Lukejt likes this.
  6. Serek_Basses

Mar 26, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    Wow thanks for all the info! Unfortunately I do not... I would love to track down a wiring schematic for this bass too!

7. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    The SB-40 introduced the 3 pot, toggle and mini-switch electronic package to replace the (then) Vulture II elec package also used in the B-40. The SB package then went to be the package for the Force series and the now-Force-headstocked B-40EQ/EQW. Your little mini-switch btw is a "brilliance switch focusing on adding a lot or a little in the 800-1000 hz range (not a mini-phaser as some think). We are lucky to have the attached schematic for the B-40EQ which came from the SB. I took it to an electrical engineer to verify it is identical to my SB-40 and SB-40EQ and it IS! WHew---lucky lucky! so here it is for ya:

Attached Files:

pudgychef, Lukejt and Serek_Basses like this.
  8. Serek_Basses

Mar 26, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    Alright! Now to learn how to read a schematic.....

MEKer likes this.
  9. michaelmeyer

michaelmeyer

Jul 9, 2016
    hi members
    i have the original sb-40 here are some pictures .really a good guitar with a fantastic sound

Attached Files:

10. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    This older thread came up in some searching I was doing.
    michaelmeyer, what you have is a 1982 B-40. Not an S-40. Your bass is passive and has the 4 pots/switch which is shared with the Vulture II bass. The B-40, in-factory, very occasionally had the SB truss rod cover put on. I have almost a dozen examples in my files. Not a biggie, but B-40's actually had no name on the truss rod cover. BTW: Over the 3 years of production (1980-1982) Washburn used 3 different shaped cavity covers depending on year of production.

The SB-40 has a totally different electrical package and is active with a separate battery compartment. You see above I have two SB-40's (1981 only) and one SB-40EQ (1982 only). My first SB-40 I bought brand new! Still have it and it has been my favorite bass ever since then.

The B-40 is a great bass and I still have a hankering every now and then to add one to my vintage collection of Washburns.