1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Washburn Status wiring mod

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by wunnorf, May 11, 2018.

1. I'm thinking of doing a simple wiring mod to my Washburn Status. I have put a set of La Bella stainless steel flat wound strings on it which has taken the edge off the 80's tone and I can dial in a sound I am happy with. What I'm thinking of doing is taking an output directly from the pickups to a second output jack, probably just mounted on the cover plate. From here I will (when required) run a short cable with a angle plug to a strap mounted box containing basic passive tone and volume controls and an output jack. That way I can maybe get closer to a J bass tone if I want that. I have taken the cover plate off and there looks to be room to fit another output socket, and the wiring looks accessible enough. It also looks like there are a couple of ways I can do this.
    • My original thinking was to take the output from each pickup out separately through a stereo jack and set up classic J bass controls in the external control box (two volumes, one tone). I generally prefer to have a master volume on my bass somewhere so from that point of view this isn't an ideal option, but maybe it gets me closest to a J bass range of tones.
    • Having had a look at the wiring, the pickups are wired straight to the pan pot and the output from there goes to the active circuit. If I take an output from straight after the pan pot to a mono jack then all I need in my external control box is a volume and a tone pot, with the existing pan pot doing the pickup blending. Easier to drive, but maybe not so close to a J tone in the mixed positions of the pan pot.
    I'm not sure what the passive tone will be like, but have read on another forum of someone who had their Washburn rewired as a passive bass and really liked the result. It's a wooden body and neck bass with magnets and wire pickups in a generally J bass configuration so I imagine it will make vaguely passive J bass noises connected in this way and look no different from the front.

Anybody got any thoughts on this (apart from "don't do it!")? I'm thinking I will need to use a switched jack so that I can isolate the new output from the input impedance of the active circuit board.

Warren

Last edited: May 11, 2018