1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Washburn Stu Hamm Bass Questions ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Basstitan, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Basstitan

Basstitan Banned

Aug 17, 2011
    The Washburn Stu Hamm SHB40RS ($399) is the same as the SHB60TSS ($599) with the only diffrence being the Piezo pickup in the SBH60TSS and color options of the two basses.

My questions ?
    1. Is the Piezo a big diffrence in sound and worth it for the price diffrence of the two basses ?

2. Has anyone TB'ers played them yet ?

3. Where are they made?

2. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    The piezo has no value unless you specifically want that addition. The majority of Stu's early yrs used no peizo equipted basses.

3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Hmmm. I had no idea such an animal existed. Is this from before or after his Fender bass? Just curious.

4. Basstitan

Basstitan Banned

Aug 17, 2011
    These are his new Washburn Sig Basses, his Fender Urge can no longer be bought new, only used.

5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Ah. Hope that wasn't a derail. It looks kind of cool. Thanks.

6. Basstitan

Basstitan Banned

Aug 17, 2011
    More Washburn info! Aniyone ?

Also which Hipshot D tuner will fit the Fender Urge MIA 1(specfic)

7. Basstitan

Basstitan Banned

Aug 17, 2011
    How long was the Fender MIA Urge 1 on the market before the Urge 2 came out(what year) ?

8. This TB thread should help:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/stu-hamm-urge-i-mia-basses-years-made-736947/

so 93-99 for the Urge I (there's also the Mexican Urge with preamp but missing split coil) and I see reviews of the Urge II (34") starting in 1998; discontinued around 2010-11 as Stu went to Washburn.

Nice guy - he bummed a cig off me at Bass Day UK as I was the only player not on roll-ups. I got childishly excited about it at the time but have got over name-dropping that event now ;)

9. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I am interested in knowing more about these Washburn basses as well. Hopefully someone can post more info for you.

10. ps, I have the Graphtech Shadow Piezo system on a bass of mine. It's an interesting extra pup that amplifies every contact my skin makes with the strings but, otherwise, does not particularly remind me of an acoustic. I have a Washburn version of the Fishman Powerchip, to go with the bridge, but this is some way off installing. Based on the Shadow, I'd say you can live without it quite easily and the Powerbridge + Chip are aftermarket available but would cost more than $200 for both.

11. I'm interested in this bass, has anyone taken the plunge? How is it?

12. I find it interesting and unique on multiple levels, but have never seen one in the flesh. Would try it out if I ever come across one.

13. Not to threadjack or anything, but their Taurus series is a dead ringer for a Jerzy Drozd. Wonder if they're licensing it from JD? I know they licensed the Status design back in late 80s ( I've got one ).

14. Searay

Searay

May 20, 2012
    I waited and watched for years until the very last of these basses were being advertised. I acquired a new import version “blem” Washburn Stu Hamm SHB40TG at a discount price. The bass arrived dirty, with unidentified finish issues due to either transit or a drop prior to arrival, tell-tale re-taped guitar box of a returned instrument. The truss rod was so tight that the bass was not playable out of the box, an easy fix. There was evidence of attempt to raise action at the bridge to further hose it up. I simply mention this stuff because depending on the customer, this could make for one very unfavorable review when the issues are seller preventable.

Indonesia factory build. The neck is wider than a Jazz, still comfortable, chunky and provides needed strength at the nut. Tuners appear to be Wilkinson. Fingerboard wood is an odd color, appears dyed. Fretwork is typical of import and will need attention. Again, no big deal.

I like the body. It seems light weight for mahogany, nice Tangerine color. Body is cut just right and combined with the neck style make it a very comfortable instrument. The input jack is closer to the end pin and out of the way if you are sitting. The bridge is functional.
    The stock pickups are almost passable. Active design, with a nice range to them. Good CAD design work on body and neck.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
    seang15 likes this.
  15. Searay

Searay

May 20, 2012
    I have removed all of the electronics and replaced with EMG (MM, jazz bridge, and an active accessory pack). The bridge pickup did not quite fit, so some minor xacto work on each end of the cutout. Now, I have neck vol, bridge vol, active bass tone, active bridge tone, on the 4 knobs. Major improvement.