Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Washburn T24 question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bluemonk, Feb 4, 2003.

1. bluemonk

bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Michigan
    The pickups (ABT) on my Washburn T24 are described as active, but when I opened the back, there was no 9 volt in there. Why is that?

2. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
  3. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I haven't seen these pickups described as active either. BTW, how's the bass?

4. bluemonk

bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Michigan
    Thanks for the replies.
    I have seen two or three music company sites that listed the pickups as active.

I contacted Washburn and got an apology for a misprint in the catalog. The pickups are passive.

The bass is beautiful: neck-through, very comfortable to play, gorgeous wood and finish.

5. BasAlexus

BasAlexus

Sep 26, 2007
    Israel
    after you've played this bass for some time (your last post is in 2003..) how is this bass?
    do you like it? I think of buying one these days..

6. Hi.

I'm sure OP will chime in and tell her opinion about the bass, but in the meanwhile here's mine ;).

I bought a new one with a crack below the fretboard. Tried it for a while and while the quality is good, for some reason the pickups didn't like my tube amp (or vice versa) at all. SWR SS was good.

When I started the repair I found that the trussrod nut was stripped. As it's a dual acting rod, the key is rather small. Made a few mistakes with removing the truss rod nut and now the bass waits for a 35" fretboard, might convert it as I have to repair the truss rod anyway.

If You're comfortable with SMALL bodies, it won't be a problem, but I found the body to be tiny. Less said about the upper horn, the better ;), that part may face the router bit as well.

And yep, passive it is.

Regards
    Sam

7. BasAlexus

BasAlexus

Sep 26, 2007
    Israel
    Thanks for your opinion Sam!

I guess I'll go and try one of these this week.
    Now I know I have to check out if the fretboard and the neck are fine! It's really sucks to buy a new bass with a crack..

I have to say that it's pretty not normal price for such a good looking bass+neck through. (400-450$ here in Israel) so I had to ask if there are also some negative things..

8. Magical_Merlin

Magical_Merlin

Nov 2, 2008
    Kent, WA
    I just bought this bass and I love it. Can someone tell me what strings sets it uses? Thanks.

9. BasAlexus

BasAlexus

Sep 26, 2007
    Israel
    I think there is no special strings for this bass. Use the strings you like the most.
    I like the thin strings.. the 40, 55, 75, 95... they have really jazzy sound, and i like them on my bass.
    Are you satisfied from the pickups' sound of the bass?

Alex