Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Washburn T25 question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BlackburstJBP, Oct 25, 2005.

1. I have the oppertunity to buy a 5 string washburn neck thru bass with active pickups.I have never played one.I wondered if they were any good,or a POS? Any comments appreciated

2. dave120

dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    Are you sure it's got active pickups? Unless they were added later I don't think any Taurus models came with them. Anywho...

I have a T24 4 string version and I love that bass. It's very comfortable to play and construction fit/finish on it is solid as a rock. The only problem is in upgrading the pickups if you ever want to, because they do NOT take standard Jazz pickups without modifications. Play it and see if you like how it sounds, and if so then I'd say go for it. I love mine even in it's stock form, and for the price it's hard to find a better built bass.

3. They are quite good basses for the money. My girlfriend has the 4 string one, and it just about rivals my Rebop in terms of playability. They sound quite good too.

4. In the photo it has the letters ABT on the pickups,also has a removable plate on the back.I,m waiting to hear from the seller.I was also wondering what the neck was like.I am used to a fender jazz with a slim neck.I,ve tried the fender P basses which feel thicker.I wonder what the washburn feels like?

5. The 4 string that I played had a neck that was moreso on the thin side, IIRC.

6. dave120

dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    Well it's definately not as slim at the nut as the Fender Jazz neck is. It's wider at the nut, but it also seems like it's not as deep front to back, so it fits the hands pretty comfortably. My suggestion would be to play one before you buy just in case it feels odd to you, but I like it and have no problems switching between my T24 and my SX P bass which feels a lot like a Fender.

ABT are the standard pickups that come in these basses and are passive to my knowledge, as that's what mine are as well. I think there were a rare few that had active pickups but those were called T34/T35 and not T24/T25. Still the pickups are pretty good and have a decent output for being passive I think.

7. vic_6

vic_6

Dec 19, 2004
    Manila, Philippines
    i have a t25 and it's passive. unless it's a force 5 or has been upgraded, it's a t25.

i've had mine 3 years already and it's been very good to me. i really like the tone. although if you're gonna slap on it,it sounds quite thin to me on the g string due to the 35" scale. but it's slaps pretty nicely except for that. oh and the string spacing is in the middle. not wide and not like a sound gear.

the pick ups are unchangeable. since they're a different size. i did hear however that there are barts that can fit in it. just cant remember what model. and i never really bothered to measure mine since i think they sound fine. i love the natural mids from the mahogany (i cut through pretty well with two seven stringed guitars and if you have a sansamp, it'll boost it even more)

everything's pretty smooth on mine. my only real complaint (which is quite a problem) is the neck dive. it's quite tiring having to hold it up all night. but if you keep it high enough, it wont be that hard to handle. you just gotta find the right height for you.

it's a beautiful bass man and sound pretty good too. but of course if you are nit picky, it's not gonna be no spector or warwick. constuction's pretty cool but of course, attention to detail is nothing compared to the higher end basses.

oh and i almost forgot, the bridge on mine had an issue taking non-tapered strings. i seen other people with the same problem but nothing a drill cant fix and it's just on the B string.

try it first if you can cuz there have been people who didnt like it and it just might not be your cup of tea but imho i think it's pretty good bang for the buck.

one last thing, i heard of people who've tried like 18 different ones and they all sounded different and they just picked the best one for them. so i cant assure you of what you'll get since QC is quite questionable. i may have just gotten lucky on mine.

but yeah, enough of my babbling, try it out and see if it fits your wants. :p

edit: about your question on the neck. it'll of course be bigger than a jazz since it's a 5'er but it's still pretty smooth. my 'ray is much chunkier.

8. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I have the Force 5 and mine has active electronics with passive pickups. The electronics/pickups suck. The bass sounds terrible. The bass, however, plays great, has a great feel and is very comfortable. The string spacing is easy to work with and I find no problems with the physical bass at all. The electronics suck though.