Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Washburn Taurus T-25 Mini Review

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Nov 6, 2005.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Hey all,

I got a Washburn Taurus T-25 as a backup/practice/another bass to have for alternative tunings that we use (standard, e flat, drop D and flat tuning with drop D flat). Anyway, here is my opinion of this bass.

Appearance:
    Great looking bass to look at. I read that the body is a rip off of a custom builder (name eludes me a the moment). The woods used are beautiful (Mahogany, etc). Love the neck thru also.

Construction:
    This model won a Bass Player mag "Outstanding Construction" award in a shootout, but here is my opinion. A mixed bag in terms of contruction. Made in Vietman of all places. On the pros, again, the body looks great. Finish is even, pots are tight and are not scratcy. Neck finish is nice too and the neck is pretty fast. The heal shape is great for those who go to the 20th + fret regularly. Tuners look/feel like Gotoh (heck they may even be the real deal). Bridge is ok, nothing special or terribly cheap like on a SX. Electronics compartment is neat and painted w shielded paint and even the cover is shielded.

On the cons, the frets are slighty sharp and I found 2 spots with what appears to be a slightly uneven fret or two, nothing major at all, a $60 fret job will take care of the shap frets and uneven ones. The nut is plastic (functional but "eh") and the two volume and tone knobs should be reversed with each other (the volume and the tone for the bridge pup is closer to the neck pup).

Sound:
    I must admit, thus far, I'm pretty impressed. I've read mixed reviews on the Washburn "ABT" electronics, but they sound good to my ears. The bridge pup cuts thru real nice and the neck pup gets nice and low when the tone is cut and growls nicly with the tone up.

One MAJOR plus on this bass is the B string. Man, I tell yeah, it's as tight as ANYTHING that I have played. I own a LeCompte, have played Zons, Pedullas, F basses, etc, etc and it's crazy just how tight the B is on this bargain bass. I HATE to admit this, but the B slightly beats my LeCompte (but the LeCompte blows it away EVERYWHERE else). Needless to say, I'm pleasantly shocked on this item.

I got the bass new off of dealer on Ebayfor $250 shipped to my door. Add a $60 fret job and setup. Oh, it came setup like crap but I spent some time with it and got it pretty close. I think that I have a bargain keeper!

[​IMG]

2. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Wow. That's actually a pretty cool looking bass. I think it is probably the first Washburn I actually like the looks of. :)

3. Quadzilla

Agree man. With most other Washburns, the bottom of the bass is flared out too much and makes look strange. The body usually looks too big compared to the neck, etc. Just outta proportion. This is the first one that I have seen that looks proportional and attractive. For $250 new, I'm not complaining. It probably looks great cause the design was apparently ripped from a customer builder. I honestly did not know this until after ordering the bass.

4. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    The builder you're referring to is Jerzy Drozd.

The lesson here is "Patent your designs". There's a few threads about this somewhere. A few people made negative comments about Washburn for copying the Drozd shape (as well as the Marleaux). When they were called on the carpet about all the Fender-shaped basses, some of them made all sorts of excuses like "...but Fender's been around for years, and Jerzy's a small builder"... Like that matters. Patent.

5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Quad--
    I am too lazy to look up specs right now, so I will ask you. What is the scale length on it??

6. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Nice. I also kind of like the design of the Washburn Bantam basses, the pricy USA models are supposed to be quite good.

7. dave120

dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    I really like the way my T24 plays. Initially I didn't like the ABT pickups too much, but as I experiment with my EQing on both my MXR M-80 and my GK amp, I find I can shape the sound quite a bit. The pots aren't the best but everything else on the bass is solid, and plays as easy as just about any bass I've ever played before. For what they cost now they're hard to beat, especially trying to find neck throughs for that price.

8. BlacktotheBlind

BlacktotheBlind Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Indianapolis
    Nice review, I actually thought about picking one of these up until i read the bad reviews on them at music123.com. But you've got me curious again.

9. Quadzilla

It's certainly worth a look. I just checked out the reviews @ music123. One guy shredded it but for the most part, the other 15 or so had positive things to say about it. It's no pro bass, but there is some dude blowing them out on Ebay for $250ish shipped and I can tell you first hand that it's WELL worth that money.

I bought an SX out of curiousity several months back because people were raving about them here. I got rid of it about 2 weeks after I got it. Honestly, the SX was a total POS in my opinion, but that's just what that is, my opinion. This bass, while in need of a fret dressing and pro setup (I got the setup a lot better than it came, but still needs a pro job) is WORLDS better than the SX I tried. It's not even close...

And the frett thing is not as bad as I'm making it out to be. I'm just very picky about fret jobs and setup. Most players would probably be fine with lowering the action and having at it...

So again, I think it's cetainly worth checking out. It's not a custom bass, but it's pretty damn nice for an overseas made production bass.

10. vic_6

vic_6

Dec 19, 2004
    Manila, Philippines
    how's the neck dive on that one? mine's quite heavy when worn mid level so i have it up real high just so it stays balanced and doesnt tire my left hand out.

try putting the series/parallel mod on it. i love it!

this really is quite a bass. ive had mine for about a little over two years now and despite me having a hamer cruise and a stingray, it still fins quite some time on the rotation.