Washburn that looked like a Status

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nickthebassist, Nov 22, 2004.

1. What was it called? I played one a while back and lvoed it.......I didn;t play it through an amp, but the playability was great. I kinda got GAS for one as a cheap bass to modify and stuff.......... :rolleyes:
  2. Glad youre on that man.
  3. I think it was actually called "Status by Washburn"
  4. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Yeah, theyre licenced copies of status basses, made by washburn, without all the fancy carbon fiber.
  5. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    It's called a Washburn Status Series 1000. I've got one, as well as a Series 2000 (all carbon) Status. Decent enough bass, nicely made, good playability but with a thicker neck than the S2k, good sound and J pickups, which makes it a lot easier to change than the tiny early Status HB's. Woods are (I think) alder body wings, stained ash facings and maple NT beam. Next string change I might throw my Dimarzio J's in to see how it sounds, and eventually it'll get my onboard electronics.

It's not as "good" as the S2000, not having that amazing rich tone and endless sustain, but that's not always a good thing, and it cost about 1/5 as much and really doesn't have much to be ashamed of in the comparison. It's a hell of a lot better to my hands and ears than a Steinie Spirit. Only real problem with mine is the bridge and headpiece have oxidised a bit and look ratty and I should take it and get a proper setup and fretdress etc. Probably only a few $ to remove them and get them powdercoated.

Apart from maybe changing the pups and electronics, what else would you do to it?
  6. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    I have one of the Washburn Status 1000 Series, too. I got my fairly cheap at a pawn show because the neck needed a lot of adjustment (just tightened the truss rod and it was fine) but they didn't know what to do with it. Anyway, it is all stock and therefore has Status active pickups that have a sound that is unlike any other brand pickups that I have heard. Super clean with lots of sustain...sort an Alembic sound except there arn't any fancy controls, just vol, bal and tone. They are pretty cool basses if you can catch one for a good price.