Washburn USA Custom Shop basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MTRatt, Dec 2, 2003.

1. MTRatt

Dec 31, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    Hi all,

There is some outfit that is selling "Washburn USA Custom Shop" XB900 basses on Ebay right now. The prices seem to be very low for something that is US made.

What is the catch here? Has anyone here had any experience with these basses?

2. MTRatt

Dec 31, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
  3. slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    Hell, if I had the money, I'd jump on it. For those prices, it seems like a great deal... the Seymour Duncan MM pup and preamp alone costs close to that alone.
  4. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Washburns are excellent basses for the money. I have a cheapo XB-102Q, and it kills any squier it sees (then again that's not too hard).
  5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

For the USA models, those are sweet prices. Too bad they don't have a five string.

That's OK. Thanks for making me go on to Ebay. I found something that I have been looking for going on three years!:cool:
  6. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    That Westone somethingorother?

Or the Gibson RD Artist?
  7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

8. MTRatt

Dec 31, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    The lack of a five string on that list is somewhat of a showstopper for me too. I want to try a five to see if it works for me.

BTW, if anyone here has an extra Fender Jazz Plus five string (or any other decent five I can get for around $400.00) like the one I lost on Ebay, please let me know.

9. bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    I'd say you have happened on a real opportunity! Washburns are all made in USA, and the wood used is top quality. I have a Taurus (T24) that is neck-through and made of mahogany. The pups aren't the best, but the bass is otherwise really terrific for the price. I also have a Washburn electric gu%#&tar that is becoming my favorite, with Seymour Duncans. Maybe Washburn is a sleeper bass company?
  10. They are nice for the price. I bought the XB900 Black w/matching painted neck and headstock. It plays very well. The Duncan HB P/U sounds great, nice midrange boost if desired. The bass is very light and comfy, can be easily played strapped for hours.
  11. MTRatt

Dec 31, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    The black bass with the black neck and headstock is the one I have my eye on. Thanks for the review.

12. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
  13. MTRatt

Dec 31, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    Verrrry interesting! Thanks Nino.

I guess the "Made in the USA" print on Washburn guitars is fairly dubious at this point. I think I'll stear clear of these basses.

This brings another question to mind. What if a manufacturer had all of it's parts made in say Korea and then brought them over here to be assembled. Is that really a "Made in the USA" guitar? With all that is riding money-wise on this label I wonder how much crafting is really done here.

14. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Astoria, Oregon
    at one point i had a washburn custom shop
    xp925..it was an awesome bass. Very growly and throaty..kinda of a warwicky neck..felt raw..I liked it. It was a great bass.

15. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    I recently saw an XB925 going for $499 at my local GC. It was very nice and had a very good tone.

Import Washburns are another story. I like Ibanez better...
  16. 00Funk

00Funk Banned

Jul 17, 2006
    Dallas TX
    Yes theese basses are excellent. Ive had mine 5 weeks now. Just found out today, about the push pull pot, :oops: that activates the slap switch. When activated it has a bass boost, and a mid cut.
  17. this is one old thread but for the future searchsters I currently own a US XB920 that I think is one of the best sounding basses I have ever heard,,, I play with a Pick and for rock stuff its perfect with everything flat and a little boost on the Bass.
    its also very comfortable coming in for a close 2nd behind my stingrays!
    people say these bass's got a bad rap because of the name and because of the name Washburn they never sell good for what they are worth. I traded for mine and if I ever come across another older version with the swamp ash body I will sweep it up instantly if its a decent deal... these basses new easily are worth the $1000.00 price tag!