1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Washburn Vulture II vs B-40 vs B-20 Stage Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MEKer, Feb 10, 2014.

1. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

Heya Guys: DId not want to clog up our Washburn Club site with this in case it gets lengthy, so here is its own research thread.

But here it is:
    1.The Vulture II was the high-end of the 3 "hollow-body shaped" archtop basses (with the Scavenger and Vulture I). Note in the close up picture it has 2 pickups, 4 pots and a toggle switch.

VS

2. The B-40 followed the Vulture II as the first "traditional Fender-shaped" body, also 2 pickups, 4 pots and a toggle switch. (Picture #2)

VS

3. The B-20 Stage Bass and the BBR variant-----also 2 pickups, 4 pots and a toggle switch. 1980-84

In the interest of getting to the bottom of the history of our vintage Washburns. I would like to see if Washburn changed the values of the identical-looking electrical packages to give these 3 basses different voicings.

A)--What are the pot values?
    B)--What are the values of any resistors (if any) or any other components in the electronic guts of the two bases?
    C)--Can we verify the pots do the same thing in the same positions on both basses, i.e. 1st top pot is a vol for neck pup, behind it is tone, bottom 1st pot is vol for bridge pup and behind it is tone?
    D)-- Are the pickups truly the same?
    E)--Wiring procedure the same?
    THIS IS PART ONE of the Electrical Packages history of our wonderful Washies.
    So I ask Vulture II, B-20 and B-40 owners to delve into this and get the results into this thread if you can be so kind, and lets see what we get!

(PART TWO will be:
    As I do not trust myself to be accurate on electronics so I am going to be taking my 1981 SB-40 and Force 40 BBR in to a tech who can do a schematic and values therein and then seek comparisons of:
    SB-40 vs Force 40 vs Force 40 BBR vs B-40EQ to see any evolvement or just any changes between voicings for these vintage basses (as they all shared the SB-40 elec package of 3 pots, toggle and mini-switch, but not necessarily the values within---and that is what the historical search entails.)

Thanks everyone:bassist:

Attached Files: