Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Washburn XB 400

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dirk, Jul 19, 2000.

1. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Today I tried a Washburn Bantam XB 400. It is used, and the guy that has it is a friend of mine. It's a little under two years old and is very nice. I'm thinking about buying it from him for $450.00. This includes a gig bag. So here are my questions. Is this a good deal for a used bass? He let me bring it home to try on my rig, so what should I look for as I'm playing it? It looks and feels really nice, so I guess that's all that really matters. I would appreciate your feedback though.

Dirk

------------------
    "When you die if you're given a choice between pie heaven and regular heaven, I think you should choose pie heaven. It may be a trick, but if it's not, then mmmmmmm boy." -Jack Handy

2. msaygilar

msaygilar Guest

Apr 18, 2000
    Istanbul
    Dirk, Bantam XB-400s are really cool.. They completely fits your hand doesn't it? I tried a XB-400 bass. That was about $700. So if it's well used than $450 would worth it. But the disadvantage was that the pickups are very high and they are very near to strings. I don't think every XB-400 would have something like this. Are the pickups are close to strings on that bass that you'll buy?

------------------
    The Only Mask I Wear is the One I was Born With..

3. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    This bass does fit my hands perfectly. I love it. The pickups don't seem too close to the strings. Not any closer than the pickups are on my other bass. I tried to play my other bass today after having this one for a while and it just felt totally wrong.

------------------
    "When you die if you're given a choice between pie heaven and regular heaven, I think you should choose pie heaven. It may be a trick, but if it's not, then mmmmmmm boy." -Jack Handy

4. msaygilar

msaygilar Guest

Apr 18, 2000
    Istanbul
    I think it's beacuse of truss rod. Anyway, dirk you should get that bass. [​IMG] I have searched every music shop in Istanbul for a second hand XB-400 but couldn't find one which's price is less than $550.00..I have to save some more money and get a new XB-400..

------------------

5. FillyTheKid

FillyTheKid

Apr 21, 2000
    Go for it.
    You can fix the pickups (if you have that problem) with a screwdriver. I happily own one.

6. Take care of the price...Istanbul prices are normally higher than USA prices, particularly second hand. For example, the XB200 goes for about $350-400 in Istanbul, but $190 from musicians friend in the States.

Check around a bit and find what else yo could get for $450.

Andy

7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I have to agree with Andy. $450 can get you some pretty good basses, so you shouldn't narrow your options to what your friend is selling. I know you've seen the bass and played it, etc, but I'd look at my other options in that price range. Heck, you can get a new Carvin B4 for around that price and I think it would outclass the Washburn in every aspect. Of course, the decision's up to you.

Will C. [​IMG]

------------------
    I'm not a genius. I'm just a hard working guy.
    -BW

8. msaygilar

msaygilar Guest

Apr 18, 2000
    Istanbul
    Andy, I searched for its price on Internet and the prices in the USA is the same as in Turkey for this bass.

------------------

9. The XB200 lists for $500. Musicians friend are selling it for $299 (oddly, the figure of $199, I now learn on rechecking is for the fretless XB200!). A 40% discount is normal. Now the 400 lists for $849 in USA, so a 40% discount would make it $500. Let's add 50, for the hell of it. That 2nd hand price is still only 100 below the street price for a new one. I am not sure that is the best price.

Of course, paying slightly over the odds to a friend is a fine thing to do, and the buyers choice...

Just to give some more context to everyone..the Washburn mid quality basses are some of the best value available in Turkey. As msaygýlar (may I call you M?) points out, the price is almost the same as the USA price. In Turkey, a MIM jazz bass lists for $650. An MIA lists for $1500. A Deluxe Fender lists for about $2000 for 1999+ models. The lowest priced Ibanez Soundgear I have seen here is priced at 900. This makes Washburns very attractive indeed. They are the best value basses on the market here.

The Ampeg BA112 bass combo which goes for 300 dollars in USA, goes for 500 here. SWR Workingman's 12 is pushing a grand and so on.

All this, together with the shher lack of good gear in the country has an effect on the second hand market, which would make 450 a reasonable price to pay for a second hand axe that originally cost 550. But the UK market would expect 2nd hand prices to be lower than that, and I think so would the USA, from what I have read.

And the crucial point is that, nice though Washburn are, they do suffer from lousy electronics. And for 450 you could probably get a better bass. In the States.

I think so, anyway.

[​IMG]

Andy

10. Don't listen to me. I don't know the US market, really.

[​IMG]

Andy

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Andy Daventry:
    And the crucial point is that, nice though Washburn are, they do suffer from lousy electronics. And for 450 you could probably get a better bass. In the States.

Andy
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is what I've been lurking and wondering about..

Around here, you can only find the cheapest of Washburns, and while crafted solidly and nice looking, the tone sucks.. badly..

I was wondering if the mid priced had any better pickups & electronics.. It's a shame, they make some sweet looking laminated top flame and quilt basses, and the feel of their necks is like buttah..

The times I've considered one, I always added $200.00 to the going price for a complete electronics replacement..

------------------
    the fabric of reality is woven from the threads of our dreams...
    bill longshort

12. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    *******************Update********************
    I've taken heed to some advice on this thread and decided to try some other basses in my price range. I had previously liked the Dean Edge Q5, but decided against it because of the B string and the string spacing. Keeping that in mind, I decided to play a Dean Edge Q4. I thought this bass was every bit as good if not better than the Washburn IMHO. I've heard bad things about Washburn electronics, and the Dean has EMGs, which sounded much better to me. The G string was not twangy at all. The only thing is the washburn's neck is a little smaller front to back and it has bass and treble controls, whereas the Dean's neck is a little thicker, and it only has one tone control, but two pickup sweepers. Plus I liked the finish on the Dean better than the look of the Washburn. All these things, plus a clicking noise on the Washburn, which I'm convinced has something to do with the action or the truss rod, have made me decide to not get the Washburn and to get the Dean. Thanks for your feedback, guys.

------------------

13. As long as you're getting the Edge Q basses, look at an Edge Custom. The workmanship, woods, and electronics are all better (the Qs have generic Korean electronics, the Customs have real EMG stuff).

14. Mr. Oysterhead

Mr. Oysterhead

Apr 15, 2004
    i recently bought a XB-500 and i love it, very comfortable and sounds great, keep an eye on your electronics for unwanted noise.

When all else has been done and said, along comes Mr. Oysterhead

15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

This thread is almost 4 years old. I am sure he made a decision a long time ago.