Washburn XB600 6 stringer, ever hear of it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RicPlaya, Feb 16, 2004.

1. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I can get this thing for $150.00. It's a six string, active electronics. I checked on the website from Washburn, I didn't see any info on it. Does anyone know about the bass, what kind of electronics? Is it American made? Is it a POS and is $150.00 worth it. I seen an old advertisment that they were retailing new for $600.00....? Any info would be appreciated...thanks
  2. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I havent had much interaction with 6 strings over my time, but there is one of these for sale at my local music shop. I had a burl of it, and it didnt sound too bad. I say for $150 down from $600, if you dont like it, well hey, just think of the re-sale value :D
  3. weeeugene

Oct 19, 2003
    I have one and if you're a beginner to 6 string, i would def recommend it as a good starter. first of all the neck is a lot thinner (both width and depth) than most 6 strings, so u have very good low action and the string spacing is closer than average so u dont have to stretch your fingers too much when hitting arpeggios. only down side to this is that slapping may be bit more difficult but i got around it.

sound-wise its pretty decent. the active electronics help a bunch and you can get a pretty close approximation on p and j bass tones. only thing i would have liked was if they made it in a longer scale length. this one is 34, so the B string can end up being a little bit undefined. but for 150 bucks, its a great deal.
  4. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I bought one about six years ago and still have it. It's a decent bass although I did suffer with the neck pickup being intermittent for about three years. It felt good and was easy on the eye but I was a bit frustrated by the narrow string spacing and ended up putting flatwounds on it. After getting another six string I took it to The Gallery in London to have it defretted, the electronics sorted and a passive bypass put in, and I'm now very happy with it as a fretless instrument.

At $150, I'd give it a try if you want a six string bass.