1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Washburn XB600 6 stringer, ever hear of it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RicPlaya, Feb 16, 2004.

1. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I can get this thing for $150.00. It's a six string, active electronics. I checked on the website from Washburn, I didn't see any info on it. Does anyone know about the bass, what kind of electronics? Is it American made? Is it a POS and is $150.00 worth it. I seen an old advertisment that they were retailing new for $600.00....? Any info would be appreciated...thanks

2. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I havent had much interaction with 6 strings over my time, but there is one of these for sale at my local music shop. I had a burl of it, and it didnt sound too bad. I say for $150 down from $600, if you dont like it, well hey, just think of the re-sale value :D

3. weeeugene

weeeugene

Oct 19, 2003
    I have one and if you're a beginner to 6 string, i would def recommend it as a good starter. first of all the neck is a lot thinner (both width and depth) than most 6 strings, so u have very good low action and the string spacing is closer than average so u dont have to stretch your fingers too much when hitting arpeggios. only down side to this is that slapping may be bit more difficult but i got around it.

sound-wise its pretty decent. the active electronics help a bunch and you can get a pretty close approximation on p and j bass tones. only thing i would have liked was if they made it in a longer scale length. this one is 34, so the B string can end up being a little bit undefined. but for 150 bucks, its a great deal.

4. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I bought one about six years ago and still have it. It's a decent bass although I did suffer with the neck pickup being intermittent for about three years. It felt good and was easy on the eye but I was a bit frustrated by the narrow string spacing and ended up putting flatwounds on it. After getting another six string I took it to The Gallery in London to have it defretted, the electronics sorted and a passive bypass put in, and I'm now very happy with it as a fretless instrument.

At $150, I'd give it a try if you want a six string bass.

Wulf