Washburn XB900 impulse purchase

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Flatwound, Sep 12, 2003.

1. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Having sold a few items recently right here on talkbass, I was thinking of buying another cheap bass; possibly an Essex, maybe a used Fender Musicmaster or MIM P, something in that range. Got a sale flyer from Victor Litz Music, and they had an XB900 listed in "toxic waste" for $250. I figured it was going to look like puke, but I called them. They said, no, they weren't sure why it said toxic waste, it was in blue stonewash or something. So tell me about it, sez I. Turns out it's swamp ash, made in the USA Custom Shop in Chicago, brand new, all hang tags, no case, Basslines Music Man system installed from the factory.

Well, to make a long story longer :D , it's on the way. List price at Musician's Enemy was $1439.99, not sure if that was with the case or not. These aren't made anymore, I'm guessing this one is 2001 or 2002 NOS. The pickup/preamp system sells at Warmoth for $198.75, so I figured I couldn't go too far wrong. Here's the pic from MF:

2. Yeah, that seems like a really good score. For the dough, it should be fun to check out. Nice work!
  3. witness

witness Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Yes, that is an excellent price for that bass, I own the XB925 which is quite similar style wise, to your bass, of course, I purchased it back in 1998 with the inflated price tag they are selling for
  4. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    I dont have too much experiance with Washburn stuff, but a guy I was in a band with a little while back had a Washburn custom shop guitar, and it was definatly quality.

Congrats on the new bass :) don't forget to post pics when it arrives!
  5. I have the same one. Its my main 4 string at the moment. Its some of the best wood working and set up you can find for under $500. I bought mine with case for 450.

If you don't like it. You should be able to get at least 400 for it on ebay.

The done is great. the neck is one of my favorites. and its a super light weight body.

good luck