Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by count_funkula, Mar 28, 2001.

1. Has anyone played or owned one of Washburn's high end basses like the XB920 or XB925? I haven't seen any in the music stores but they look really nice.

How about sound, feel, value, versatility?
  2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I played an XB-900 w/a Seymour Duncan MM pick up & active 3 band pre amp & I thought the bass was awesome. It's made extremely well, felt great & IMO sounded better than any MusicMan I've played. I haven't played the XB-920's yet & look foward to. I've heard good things about them.
  3. Jake15

Jan 17, 2001
    USA, PA
    I have an rb2000 washburn and its somewhat high end. For a korea bass it is pretty nice. The only thing that I dont like is the shape of the headstock.
    Washburns in general are pretty nice basses, esspecially the mia ones.
  4. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I had an XB900 for a while. It was a very well made instrument with a distinctive look (stonewash blue), and a nice growly tone, but it just wasn't me. Selling it was a bitch, since no one apparently believes that Washburn is capable of making decent instruments; if you buy, make sure you don't intend to sell.
  5. Damarunwolf

Mar 22, 2000
    I agree completely with Christopher about making an attempt to sell a Washburn. I was just going to sell my RB2000 (active circuitry, lists for $899.00)on eBay because I've switched to 5 strings with my current band, and I don't like switching back and forth, so I figured I'd let someone on Ebay have a shot at a very nice bass in mint condition for a substantial discount. Not trying to stick it to anyone, just intended to get it out of my closet and to someone who'd appreciate it. No one went NEAR it...hehehehe. So, I'll just keep it for any "funk or slap" work I do on the side. I took it into the local Guitar Center to have it set up, and the sales guy who had never seen one up close loved it. He plugged it in and played the thing until I overpowered him, took it and ran. :D Washburn really does make some nice basses...just not many folks know about it it seems.
  6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    The problem with this bass is it looks alot like a Jazz bass & since it dosent say Fender on it, it's a hard resell. I've had an XB-400 & 500 & they were excellent basses, but when my compulsion drove me to buy something else, I got squat for them.
  7. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

I must agree....most folks associate Washburn with "cheap" guitars and basses (and certainly they do make some very cheap ones). But their MIA, high-end models, although perhaps jacked up at the suggested retail price, are very high quality instruments! But, no one will pay good money for a used one. Their Acoustic Bass Guitars enjoy a more favourable reputation, but the electrics....you'd get more resale $ for a Squier J or an Epi Les Paul Bass (both cheap basses) than an XB900 or 925.
    I have a custom shop built Washburn that I was trying to sell....no takers!! A couple of years ago a Washburn rep saw one of my solo performances and offered me an endorsement deal. They made me this bass, based upon the XB900 design. "cept this has a spalted maple top on a solid mahogany body, tung-oil finish, 24 fret Ebony fingerboard with no position markers and the the Buzz Feiten tuning system, Hipshot tuners and X-tender key, custom hipshot bridge, and custom Alnico Duncan/Basslines active Humbucker and 3 band active preamp. Quite a bass....folks think it is a Warwick or an Alembic. It apparently left the custom shop to me so quick they forgot to put a Washburn logo on it! Plays and sounds great...growls, throbs, sings and wails when you lay thumb to it. I was letting it go cheap, too. Would even consider trades. No takers...no bites! If I had said it was anything but a Washburn it would have been gone, gone, gone! Now, I am probably gonna keep it as a back up.....unless I get a decent offer (I am looking for a Epi Jack Casady!)