Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by floydbass, Jun 12, 2003.

1. are these basses any good or what??? i have one and it plays great and souns great but what are your thoughts on these basses???/
  2. NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I can only speak for the Acoustic Washburn. I have owned a AB-20 since 1989 and it play's and
    sounds great. I have never had any problem's
    with it.I have never played one of there solid bodies.[​IMG]
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Well, they "borrow" their design ideas from the best...

Exhibit A:

MB 40

has the bodyshape of the Marleaux Consat (Jackson did it before too), the Esh headstock and the bolt-on construction of the Human Base bolt-ons.

4. i know what they look like im talking about the QUALITY
  5. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  6. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany

7. didnt you hear me i sad quality not what they frikkin look like :)))))))))))))))))))))
  8. Lenko

May 3, 2003
    I own XB400; it's a nice bass; very "fast". The only problem is that the nut is not cut good, so it buzzes a little.
  9. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The custom shop XB 9xxs are underrated, underpromoted and can therefore be had at firesale prices. They're quality instruments that sound good and have superior playability (at least the four strings; the fives have too narrow spacing for me). They just don't sell.

I don't know about their low-end stuff. If they're copying the designs of Marleaux, Drozd et al., let's also hope that they're aiming for the same sort of QC.
  10. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    I have had an AB20 for probably 10 years or so. It plays well, never had any quality problems. I've never seen another with this same finish.[​IMG]
  11. Makatak

Apr 13, 2002
    New Zealand
    Heres a picture/advert of the Washburn i bought at a pawnshop , i needed a bass for my gig on the weekend and it was about a Thursday , my Ibanez wes stolen the weekend beforehand . This bass was a gift from god , great sound , felt good etc , its real dirty in this picture and check out the mismatched strings !! , ill try and compress a jpeg of what it looks like now and send it !
  12. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    My friend has a Washburn, Im not sure of the model. It plays nicely and he has never had any problems with as long as I have known him. The tone is good but could be better, he has had the same set of strings on it for as long as hes had it.
  13. I think they are not bad basses, but besides from haaving copied som of their latest models from other designs, I don't think they really worth what you pay for them.. just a thought..
  14. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    I had an XB10 for a while, I really liked it.
    Wish I hadn't got rid of it.
    Quality wise it was as good as anything else out there.
  15. I had a Washburn XS-5. It was my first 5 string bass, and my first (and only so far Washburn bass). It was actually a really nice bass, nice and comfy to play, tones were to my liking, B string was OK although maybe a bit floppy. Twin J type pickups, and active/passive circuitry (switchable).

Sold it juts last year after owning it for 10 years or so......it just couldn't complete in terms of play time aftre I got my Spector 5 stringers...:)
  16. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I've got an XB-600 that I recently had defretted. It had been languishing since I got my Sei Flamboyant last year but is getting some use now - I had found the narrow spacing (15mm) rather limiting, but it works very well as a fretless instrument.

For a couple of years I lived with the neck pickup only working intermittently, but got that sorted out at the same time (replacement pan pot did the job). It's not an amazing instrument, but quite respectable.

17. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    I have three.. i picked them up very cheap of a mate who was selling up soe studio gear.

I have an acoustic with piezo pickup - all in white with rose board... i call my elvis bass, thankyouverymuch, uhhuh :cool:
    This is a nice acoustic, but the intonation is shot completely above the octave - suffice for the very rare acoustic gig I do. One, so far ;)

A 5 string electric which is my rehearsal, nasty gigs and OK to leave in the car bass. This is a nice bass actually, it plays really well for the price (i believe about £500 or £600 new), it has active eq, two soapbars, a nice chunky bridge and a nice profile neck - my only insignificant complaint would be the join in the neck - i hate it when they do that!

..and finally a 4 string fretless, which is so completely shot that i cant bring myself to play it. the action is low as it will go without some work on the board - i believe it has a slight peak around the 4th/5th fret which means that it buzzes like crazy when you play around the 3rd.

I paid £450 for these three basses which had very light (like twice) studio use only since they were bought, a fair price, but i'll be offloading the fretless as soon as!!!

so yeah, washburn, not bad for the money, that's what is say :)
  18. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    I had a bantam 6-string. It was OK for the price at first, but the neck became so torqued that the tech I had nearby wouldn't even work on it.

I'd call it an "entry level" bass.
    However, I think "entry level" basses are a waste of money. Washburns included.
  19. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I think the 'bantam' is essentially the same as the XB-600 which I have. Does it have a double truss rod - or was the XB-600 a later model that looked very similar but added minor improvements such as this?

20. GBag

Mar 25, 2007
    Boiceville, NY
    I've had one of these for years. I liked the size of the neck. It felt good & was not miles wide like many 5 strings. ( I wasn't gifted with 5" long fingers) The Bridge was a complete piece of crap. That was jettisoned and replaced with a Kahler Bridge. Also the electronic circuitry was poor. It always had noise in the active mode & was clean but very weak signal in the passive mode. Good for a beginner but that's about it.