Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Washburn's new basses/Jerzy Drozd and Marleaux copies

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dan Lenard, Oct 20, 2002.

1. Dan Lenard

Dan Lenard Banned

Mar 8, 2002
    Dan Lenard here, at Luthiers Access Group.
    Have you seen the Washburn ad in the October '02 issue of BP ? Page 67.

"Never following trends Washburn sets the pace with a new line of VERY UNIQUE basses. Adorned with high-end components and sporting fresh, ORIGINAL body designs,our new basses will set the new bass standard."

Take a look at the bass on the left and the bass on the right - look familiar ?

These "new, unique and original" basses have been made without the knowledge, permission, or acknowlegement of Marleaux basses and Jerzy Drozd.

Players, what do you think about this ?
    I wouild appreciate your reactions.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Jackson copied the Marleaux Consat design some years ago.
    Needless to say, they hardly sold in Germany :)

Gerald Marleaux thought about sueing Jackson, but that might have ruined him, and the Jackson exec even told him to his face @ the Musikmesse that they didn't fear legal consequences for that reason...Bastards. :mad:

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    my opinion is that i've played some washburns and i wouldn't buy one, or play one for free, regardless of who they ripped off.

that goes for jackson too.

4. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Well, Dan, as you know, I'm a self-professed HUGE Jerzy fan (and hopefully an owner at some point in the not-too-distant future). I'm also, and not quite as well known, a non-fan of Washburn basses.

The best I can figure is that Washburn is trying to identify themselves as being in the same class as Jerzy basses, which from my experiences are off-base. I think it's a form of flattery, in a sense. But, I also think that any player who is interested in owning a Jerzy won't be interested in owning a Washburn. Similarly, any player wanting a Washburn "copy" of another bass is, on some level, acknowledging that Washburn basses are knock-offs.

On the other hand, it's a little disheartening, though, because Jerzy basses are so unique. It's a shame to see other basses out there that try to copy Jerzy's designs.

But, I know better, and that's what counts most.;)

5. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    This is unbelieveble, have they no creative thought in their head?????? And copying Jackson who copied Marleaux..........

Washburn: Show some respect and have a little selfrespect also

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Anything for a buck.

It's a crime.

7. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    But wait, didn't Washburn achieve instant credibility when they "re-issued" the Bootsy stars shaped Space Bass? And they only want $4,500 for it!!

;) ;) ;)

Peace,

James

8. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
  9. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    haven't seen those pics in the BP magazine. can you post a pic?

thanks!

10. http://www.washburn.com/products/bass/t24.shtm

http://www.washburn.com/products/bass/t25.shtm

11. I expected to see something better:
    what a shame :rolleyes:

Hey.. check out the MB model too.. Looks like a stylized Rickenbaker..

12. As long as everyone knows they're copies, and keep from buying them for that one sake, it's fine with me. Washburn would loose money, though, and that is, in this instance, even more fine with me...

13. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga